Chapter Ten

•·················•·················••·················•·················•

"Fuck your truck's window tint!" I yell at her. She just laughs as the window rolls up, a second later the door opens and she gets out. There's a sly smile on her face, and her eyebrows raise in expectation. I hold up my hand to her and shake my head. "We can talk over breakfast, I'm starving."

"Oh, I'll bet." There's humor in her voice, something that would be hard to miss. She bounds past me towards our front door. "I bet you got a lot of riding done last night."

I let out a loud groan, one loud enough that she could hear over her cackling.

Once in the apartment, Becky heads over to the kitchen to start on our brunch, I head down the hall to my room. I finally get to take a proper shower, and then change into fresh clothes. Even if they are my spare set of work clothes. My phone buzzes as I leave my room, Dice saying this number is his, and to have a good day at work. A smile creeps onto my face before I can stop it, and I message him back. 'Good luck on your trip back.'

I had wandered my way into the kitchen texting Dice and adding his number to my phone. Becky's question has me looking up. "So you ditched Brad for a smokin' 'hot biker guy? Can't say I blame you."

"I only kind of ditched him." I sigh, plopping down into one of the island counter chairs. I begin telling her the story of what happened last night. Focusing on the fact that I was planning to stay, even though Brad barely paid attention to me last night. My breaking point was when I saw him with a woman, I was going to leave anyway. It just so happened that Dice gave me an out. Then that turned into an amazing night. Just like he had promised. Of course, once I start talking about Dice, she explodes with questions. Unlucky for her, lucky for me, I have to pack up and go to work.

Over the next few days I realize that the drive Dice has to do is outrageous. Even though he assured me that he likes the drive, he admitted it takes him 2 to 3 days to drive back to where he lives. Sometimes longer depending on who's with him and how often they had to stop. When he eventually brought up the idea of visiting, I couldn't let him. It was one thing for him to have to come here for work, it was another to have him come here for sex. I wouldn't make him do that, I didn't know what responsibilities he had at home. So I did the hard thing if he wasn't coming into town for work, he shouldn't come.

He had immediately called and then said some dirty things on the phone that almost had me changing my mind. But I couldn't let him do that, not just for me.

We texted and talked on the phone. He's the only person I've enjoyed talking to on the phone. Next thing I knew, weeks had passed and Dice never mentioned having to visit the city for work. I had to pack and then begin the process of a long drive myself. Dice had offered to go with me, not liking the idea of me being by myself on the road. As much fun as being stuck in a car with Dice for a few days sounded, I was going to drive there by myself. Like how I'd been planning for months before he entered my life.

With the packing, the drive, and unloading in my new apartment, time passes quickly. It felt like I was in orientation before I could even process that I had moved. The hospital itself is massive, one of the biggest in the state, if not the biggest. Right in the heart of Albuquerque, surrounded by the huge city and desert. A huge, huge desert. The complete opposite of where I was before. It was the fresh start I had wanted, somewhere completely new to me.

Holding my white coat in my hands is a dream come true to me, even if I was still in training. Pulling it to my face I inhale the scent, cleaner and antiseptic. Smells like a hospital, nice, clean, and perfect.

"Excited?" Harper comes bounding into the room. She reminds me so much of Becky it makes me homesick. Harper is just as bouncy, bright, and shiny so early in the morning. It's a good thing she looks nothing like Becky, or I might mistake them for twins.

"It's only our second day, of course, we're still excited." That is from Craig, who's standing at the end of the lockers shoving things from a backpack into it. "Wait until next week and ask us again."

"Yesterday was orientation, tour, and paperwork day. Today is technically our first day." Harper puts her hand on her hip as she speaks, staring down Craig with a frown. Craig doesn't seem to notice her scolding tone as he slams his locker door closed and walks toward where the rest of our group waits. "Come on, we don't want to be the last ones to show up."

I pull my coat on and follow behind Harper to the entrance of the residence locker room. Harper and I stick close together, being as we are the only woman in the group. I'm sure in the following days I'll get to know the others, if we aren't run into the ground with work. Which will probably be what happens, and I was really looking forward to it.