Chapter Two

•·················•·················••·················•·················•

First of all, this was not the way I had thought my day would go. First, a man brought his elementary school-aged son up to the bar with him, then expected me to make him a cocktail. Sure it was a bar and grill, but kids weren't allowed to sit at the bar. When I pointed that out, I had to call over the bouncer. He had thrown a massive hissy fit over not being able to get his drink. Second, just before my shift ended, someone had knowingly or unknowingly tripped me while I was carrying a tray of mugs filled with beer. My shift technically wasn't over for two more hours, but I was sent home because I had been drenched in Blue Moon.

I had gotten home and immediately jumped into the shower. With the smell of beer scrubbed from my skin, I leave the shower and head over to my room. Just as my bedroom door closes, I hear the front door open, then Becky's chipper voice hits me. Not loud enough for me to make out words, but enough that I recognize who it is. Opening my closet I debate if I should clean it out a bit...

Shrugging I grab my favorite pair of soft light washed jeans, and my black and white striped sweater I kept at the top of the pile. Add in a plain but matching underwear set I close my closet door - just as I hear a soft thud come from the other side of the closet door. Well, at least it didn't sound like anything broke. Which means I can leave it for later.

"Maggie?" I hear Becky ask on the other side of my door. The door cracks open, Becky sees me in my towel, her eyes widen and the door is slammed shut again. I let out a genuine throaty laugh. Her voice comes from behind the door, "your home early."

"I am," I tell her through the door. I'm not shy around her, she's been my best friend for the better part of our lives. Becky on the other hand, is very body shy. Whether it's her body, or mine, or anyone else's really.

"Good, get ready for your date!" She says it so cheerily, I have to process it for a second. Did I forget about setting up a date? I don't remember setting one up.

"What?" I ask. I don't get an answer, even after waiting for half a minute. She had walked away from my room. Seriously?

Then I remember a few days ago when I had gotten home from my date with Mark. Oh no. I was not going on a date with one of Kent's friends. I dress quickly, stumbling a little while pulling on my pants. Grabbing my hairbrush on the way out of my room I find Becky in our kitchen and point the brush at her.

"No."

"What?" She asks, eyes big and trying to pass off as innocent. She even presses a hand to her chest. "I didn't do a thing."

"You're setting me up on a date."

"I'm not." She corrects, matter of factly she says, "Kent is."

"That makes it worse!" I threw up my hands, exasperated.

"You want a friend with benefits, not a long-term boyfriend," Becky said, putting her hands on her hips she gives me a small smile. "Brad is nice to look at, and I know a girl who's been with him, she highly recommends."

I could not stop my eyes from rolling. Brad? Really? And a girl she knows 'recommends' him?

"I don't want to seem like an ass."

"Well, you're acting like one."

My mouth drops open and Becky shrugs, moving to the fridge. "You are being too picky, if you really want this to be for a short time stop nitpicking every guy. Go on the blind date, have some fun."

I snap my mouth closed and watch Becky as she opens a bottle of water, the lid making a crackling noise as she twists it off. It's the only sound in the apartment for a few beats of time. Maybe she's right, maybe I'm being too harsh with these guys. Years of med school made me uptight and stressed out I think. It's hard to just let go and have fun when I am used to always being under stress.

Letting out a sigh, I drop my shoulders and shake my head. "Is it still a blind date if I know his name?"

Becky gives me a sly smile. "That's all you're getting from me. Well, that and he'll be wearing a red polo shirt."

"Do I need to change?" I ask, Becky shakes her head no.

"I'll tell Kent to tell him a black and white shirt." She begins shooing me out of the kitchen with a wave of her hand. "Now go get ready, I'll text you the address of the place and the time."

Resigned to my fate of a blind date I head back into my bedroom. Using my brush on the way, not to threaten people, but to use it for what it's actually meant for. Sitting at my desk, I can't help but think about how shitty I've been acting towards my dates. So what if they weren't perfect? That would just make my move harder if they were. I just needed someone fun, someone I could sort of get along with so I can experience a taste of freedom. I just wanted someone who could help me forget about the crushing reality that is life and responsibility.

Settling on the fact that I would try to be nicer, I start to get ready for my blind date. Hopefully, it would go well enough I'd be comfortable going on a second one.