𝐈𝐧𝐯𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠

Athena's POV

All my life I've been told that there's an "invisible string" that connects you to your soulmate. That the string turns visible when you and that person are close or some shit. You follow the string till you get to each other. You kiss your soulmate and no longer have to live with the string attached to you.

It seems like that's everyone's only mission in life. Especially in high school. I do find it interesting and I care...
I probably care a little more than I should but it's not like it's all I think about...unlike all my other friends.

"Yea, my cousin is coming from Texas" Melanie shrugged, April sitting up excitedly. "You think he's my soulmate?" I chuckled, both me and Melanie shrugging. "Maybe, he's really open about how much he cares so get ready for when you meet him. Probably the first thing he's gonna check" Mel joked, knowing that's exactly how April is.

"Really? Is he cute?" Melanie looked at her in disgust. "I'm not weird, I don't fucking know. He looks normal" she shrugged. "There haven't been any new students in a long time" I added, both the girls in front of me nodding. "You gonna let us meet him?" April asked with a smile. "You're gonna end up meeting him anyway. He has 4 classes with Athena" April gasped. "The dumb classes she takes, right?" "There's dumb classes?"

"No, he has like honorers English and biology. And then he has art with her and gym? I think." "Oh, cool" I smiled. I've been needing a new friend in class. Or literally just a new biology partner. They stuck the kid in our class because they didn't have space for him in normal bio...he's weird.

For the next couple of days, it's all April could talk about. She was more than excited to meet this mystery cousin of Melanie's more than anything else.
"You ready?" I looked at her with my hands on the wheel. She nodded excitedly before pulling down the mirror, taking a deep breath, and putting a small smile on her face. "Don't fall in love with him, even if he's not my soulmate he's still really cute. He has brown hair" she squealed. I showed a small amount of concern in my smile, following her out of the car.

"Hey, guys" We made our way into the house, me staying to close the door. "Hey! So, Conan, that's April" I overheard them as I stayed, trying to lock the door. "Melanie your door is jamme-" I turned to look at everyone, a glowing string connecting to my finger. The fuck is that?" I followed it with my eyes, Conan's looking right back at mine. "I'm going to the bathroom real fast" I scurried away, locking myself in the bathroom.

Mel <3

Athena <3
Melanie come to the
bathroom right fucking now

Mel <3
???

A couple seconds later I heard a knock, Melanie looking at me concerned as I opened the door. I pulled her in, silently freaking out. It's like I could cry at any second, my anxiety isn't helping this at all.
"What? What's wrong, Athena?" "Conan is my soulmate" "What?" Her voice was loud, making me shush her as I held up my hand.

"I can't see it" "Well no shit" I took a look at the string. It was weird, it was like Repunzles hair, flower gleam, and glow. Gold and shining all that fancy stuff. "What if I cut it?" "It doesn't work, also I-" she paused, a weird look on her face as she turned to leave.

"I- What?" She closed the door, it closing on the golden thread around my ring finger. I knew this was gonna happen eventually, I just didn't know it would happen this soon.
I'm only 19, and commitment is scary, I don't even know Conan and I'm gonna be forced to get to know him just because he's my soulmate.