12. I Know It's Over

"AAUUGGHHHHHH!!!"

The cry of defeat echoed throughout the room. The perpetrator, Isagi Yoichi, was down on all fours after his humiliating defeat. It was a hard fought battle, yet it was an even harder pill to swallow.

Just why... Why did they lose? How could they lose?! Isagi was sure that he won in that last moment when he predicted Bachira's movements, something not even you or Rin could comprehend. So how did it end up like this? Was it just a bad stroke of luck? No, it couldn't be. Luck was a factor in a game, that was a given, however to think... all of his hard work down the drain, because of a little luck. No, he couldn't accept it. There had to be something else at play, something that he just didn't have yet!

Just then, a hand invaded his view. His gaze drifted from the person's palm and up their arm to see who was in front of him. Isagi's eyes widened when they met yours. You gave him a tender and affectionate smile, for a moment he questioned if you were truly looking at him with such a face or if it was all in his head.

Isagi could feel butterflies in his stomach as he looked at you. Since when did your smile seem so...  breathtaking? Was it always like this, or was it only so endearing when directed at him? Ah, that second thought made him feel even more flustered! The boy had been so engrossed in his thoughts, that he nearly missed what you had said next.

"Isagi." You said gently. The boy had just faced a serious loss, and you didn't want to drop the bomb on him too hard. "Will you join our team?"

Isagi was snapped out of his daze as he looked at you in shock. It seemed that all his teammates also heard and stared in shock as well, but your attention on the boy didn't waver.

"Wa-What?" He sputtered. "But... Why me?"

Rin scoffed from behind you, obviously taking a harsher approach at recruiting your new teammate. "Shut up, it was obvious to anyone with half a brain cell. That last play... I was completely unable to read. It was the first time since coming to Blue Lock I've tasted defeat." The boy snarled. "That makes one more person I need to defeat. I won't let you sink here..."

"Isagi Yoichi, you're coming to watch my ascent to the world's greatest striker whether you like it or not."

The boy was silent for a second, almost mulling over the other boy's words. He still couldn't accept the outcome of the game. In that last play, the only thing keeping him from reaching the same level as Rin... was just a bit of fucking luck. Even so, he would still keep moving forward.

If it was luck he was missing, he would work his ass off until lady luck would have no choice but to smile down upon him.

Isagi quickly grabbed your hand, and hauled himself up off the ground with your help. His hand was sweaty, warm and callous, it was far from what many would consider ideal but it was the exact opposite in your eyes. You thought the rough calluses and sweat that dripped off his palms reflected the hard work he put in on a day-to-day basis, and that was something that was undeniably admirable.

You let go of his hand, as you turned to the other boys who had fought vigorously just to lose. Nagi sat on the ground in defeat, Chigiri wheezed in exhaustion, and Barou stared at the wall of the building, refusing to face anybody.

"Hey." You called out, gaining their attention. "You played fiercely, and from here on out I expect nothing but the best from the three of you. I would say 'good luck', but there's no doubt in my mind you'll all reach the top. So I suppose a 'until next time', is more fitting."

The three boys were quiet, until Barou spoke up, breaking the silence. "Shut up, I don't need your damn praise." He grit out. "I already know that next time we play each other, I'll be the one on top."