Chapter 2

"What are you doing here?" Harriet asked when she saw Damon lying on the couch in her living room.

"This is also my house" the dark-haired man reminded her.

"I didn't know you were coming" Zach said as he passed through the room and saw Damon there.

"I'm just checking on Stefan's homework. The country has gotten dumber in a hundred years. Why does he want to go to high school?"

"I ask myself the same question" muttered Harriet.

"Why are you here, Damon?" Zach questioned the vampire

"To spend time with you, Zach, and also with your daughter. Family matters to me" the vampire spoke sarcastic

"Since when?" the girl asked mockingly.

"I know you. You always have motives. Tell me, what do you want, Damon?" Zach asked again, and Damon quickly approached him to strangle him. Harriet ran to her father, who gestured for her not to come closer.

"You shouldn't question me."

"I didn't mean to upset you."

"I'm not upset, Zach."

"Damon, please let him go" pleaded the girl, but the vampire simply ignored her.

"What's going on here?" Stefan asked as he arrived, and Damon finally let go of Zach, leaving him on the floor.

"I'll bring you a glass of water, okay?" Harriet spoke as she approached her father and hugged him. He nodded, and left him alone with Stefan for a few seconds while she returned with the glass of water. "Here" she handed him the glass, and her father drank it all. "You have to do something about Damon, Stefan. This can't go on."

"I know, but I'm not as strong as he is."

"Vervain weakens him if he ingests it" Zach mentioned. "It would give you an advantage."

"Vervain hasn't grown here since 1865. Damon took care of that. The vervain I had, I gave to Elena."

"But there's something you don't know, dear Stefan" the girl commented, crossing her arms with a smile on her face.

"What?" the vampire asked confused.

Father and daughter approached an almost hidden door, followed by the vampire. They entered, went down some stairs to the basement, and reached another door where there was quite a bit of vervain growing.

"You cultivate it" Stefan murmured, impressed.

"It's something that has been passed down through generations. You can't be loyal to your vampire family. Damon would kill us if he knew we had it" Zach mentioned, and Harriet nodded, agreeing with him.

"But you told me. Why?"

"Because I trust you."

"You're not Damon. We know you won't kill us" the girl said with a small smile.

"Plus, you need it to get rid of him" Zach seconded, hugging his daughter

⚜️

Harriet was leaving the Lockwood mansion after the party when something stopped her. She saw her friend Caroline getting up from the ground, looking confused. Harriet approached her to make sure she was okay.

"Hey Care, are you okay?" She asked when she was in front of the blonde.

"Yeah. I'm fine" Caroline responded with difficulty, which worried the brunette. "I'm okay," the trembling girl repeated.