Foolhardy

The day of the fool has come and gone. Therefore, those born on that day have grown a year older such as the very jester who is either despised or loved, depending on where you stand. Dawn greets another frigid day atop the mountain. An elegant rainbow arches over the Candy Palace, similar to every other day. Rivers of corn syrup flow throughout the kingdom. Cotton candy trees as well as bushes rustle in the cool wind. The lights within the numerous gingerbread houses flicker to life despite no residents being found within them.

However, one such house doesn't follow this pattern. Found on the outskirts of the kingdom, just beyond the pink wafer bridge, stands a dilapidated house. Inside such a place lies a passed-out fellow atop an old couch dawning a jester costume surrounded by several bottles of cola from the 70s. The icy wind grazes his skin and nips at his fingertips. Drool streams down his face and onto the cushions below. His snores ring off of the walls of his weary house.

Chester: "*Snores* And the Oscar for best. . .best. . .best uhh. . .*snores* whatever! It goes to. . .Chester!" He speaks in his state of slumber. "Thank you. . .thank you. . . You all underestimate my amazing talents. . . *Snores* And on my birthday! Obviously. . .all of you suck!" His hand shoots upwards in a pointing motion. However, his arm soon collapses and falls against his opposite side. Due to the shifting of weight, Chester descends upon the ground below.

*SLAM*

Chester: "AGH!" Chester springs awake. "Gh! My head!" He supports his head with both hands. "What did I do last night?" One of his hands trails down his face as the corresponding eye rolls meticulously within its socket. "Oh yeah. . .that." Chester runs his hands along his face. "Man, I need to lay off this stuff. . . Eh." He shrugs his shoulders. "It won't kill me if I keep doing it for a bit longer. . .probably."

Suddenly, a newfound sound greets his ears.

*DING DONG! IT'S THE COPS!!! HIDE!!!*

Chester: "Huh, I really need to fix that. It's too subtle and outdated. Cops, debt collectors, ghosts, and my paralysis demon." He taps his chin. "Remember that, Chester!"

Chester jaunts over to the door which precedes his inspection of the outside world through an eyehole opposed to the large hole in his door. Afterwards, he carefully creeks open the door, constantly gazing about while doing so. With the elapsing of a few seconds, Chester opens the door completely. His head snaps in several directions to ensure that no other entities are present. Speaking of which, Chester's eyes eventually come into contact with a colorfully wrapped present upon his doorstep.

Chester: "Huh. . ." He kneels beside the gift. "A. . .present. . ." Chester tilts his head. "HEY, WHOEVER YOU ARE, YOU'RE LATE!!! MY BIRTHDAY WAS YESTERDAY!!!" He cups his mouth to amplify his shouting. "Whatever." One of his hands swings in the direction of the outside world. "Well, there's no reason for this to go unappreciated." He pops the cover off.

Chester locates his head over the box. Inside, a lone, pink shard pulsates, lightning up the space around it. Allowing curiosity to take hold of him, Chester grabs the shard and locates it before him.

Chester: "The Hell is this?" He points towards the gem with the utilization of his entire hand.

Instantaneously, the shard shatters further into mere particles of dust.

Chester: "Great! I broke it! Well, it won't be the first thing I've broke. Mandy's sanity takes that award."

The dust multiplies and dashes into the air where letters sprawl through the air.

Chester: "Wh-What?" He inquires to himself in surprise. "Dear Chester." He speaks aloud. "We are sorry for not sending this to you earlier. FedEx really needs better hiring practices. Well, you got that right." He mumbles to the side as the dust particles morph into different letters. "We would like to give you a shard of what is known as the Crystal of the Fool. You will be granted one wish. Thank you for making us laugh through hard times. Sincerely, you're grateful fans :3."

The dust forms into a question mark.

Chester: "O-Oh! M-My wish. . .hmm. . ." Chester curls his pointer finger over the front of his chin while his thumb is loaches underneath. "Hmmm. . . Well, I wish I could experience my birthday again. . ." His head hangs low.

The dust transforms into a thumbs up. From its formation as a hand, it snaps its fingers. The surrounding area is encompassed by a blinding, white light. Instinctually, Chester covers his eyes, yet he fails to maintain his senses nonetheless.

. . .

. . .

. . .

"OPEN YOUR EYES, CHESTER!!!"

Chester: "Huh?" He squints.

Chester shortly adjusts to his physical state. He rubs his eyes before comprehending the world around him. He finds himself in a field at the head of a humongous table. Atop the other seats are people he has never inquired with nor met. They all gaze towards him, bearing wide smiles. In front of Chester stands an enormous cake decorated with sheer pounds of candy. From this, his own smile forms.

Everyone: "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHESTER!!!" They shout.

Chester: "*Sniff* Th-Thanks, e-everyone!" He wipes the tears from his eyes.

Following this, Chester swiftfully blows out the candles that line his cake in one deep breath.

Everyone: "YAY!!!"