'Amara, I know he hit your pride, but he's not wrong. Don't defend your pride by saying something you'll regret.' she says, almost desperately. I send her a glare and I hold my glare at my dad while biting my tongue from cussing him out

"So teach me then. I'm here now, you're here now. Train me, teach me to wield this magic." I say coldly, throwing down the fork to my salad. I'm not hungry anymore, dread coils in my gut because I know he's not wrong, but I'm not going to falter.

"That's why I'm here. Come back to the underworld with me tomorrow, and we'll dive right in. I've spent the last 20 years doing what I can to learn about your prophecy, Amara, don't think I come without a plan for you." he says, and I want to smack the smirk off his face, but I hold back.

He's here to help me, he's here because he cares about me I tell myself, over and over again while trying to reign in my anger

"You're more like Aylin than I thought you would be" he says, and I shoot him another glare

"Sophie is only here for the week. I will not sacrifice my time with her." I tell him coldly

"She can come with, I'll teach you to put a shield around her. It won't even drain you. You can put one around your friend group too if you so wish. There's no limits to what you wish, what you can do, Amara."

"The beta, gamma, and their mates have to stay behind. You teach me to shield Sophie, Seth, and his mate if they all wish to come with us." I spit, my attitude is the only defense I have at this point, but I don't care, I'm pissed off. Black curls my vision and leaks out of my fingers. He notices my eyes, and looks at my hands and smirks.

"Good. Now pull it back. And then bring it forward again, will it to wrap around me." he says smugly

There's a part of me that wants to defy him, but I know he pissed me off on purpose. So I oblige, I pull it back to me, and then I send that power back out to him. I don't just let it wrap around him though, the black mist goes into his nose, his eyes, and his mouth. He coughs and falls out of his chair. He tries to get up but I hold him there, tapping into some part of me that calls to my basic instinct. Cocky bastard. He coughs, but then his own power leaks out, somehow darker than mine, and wraps around the tendrils I allowed to creep for him and cuts them off. I feel the power instantly return to me, and I jolt.

"Very good, once you're done with your training, I won't be able to cut that power off." he says getting up, dusting himself off and sitting back in his chair. He sips his espresso as if nothing has happened. I guess if Aylin is as strong as he claims and has unleashed herself on him before, that show of power would be nothing to him. I remain silent, holding my glare towards him.

"Call the power back to you, you're still surrounded by the black mist. Unless you want your pack to suspect you before you're ready to tell them" he says, ignoring my glare

I listen to him and pull it back in, he has a point. I don't need the pack to suspect their Luna is anything...paranormal, before Roman tells them. At least, I tell myself that's the reason. He doesn't need to know I did it just to prove I could. But he's right, I need to consider the pack. Letting it out when I'm around our family is one thing, but around the pack is another. I won't cause problems for Roman. I'm their Luna. I need to take that role seriously.

"Good job, Amara" he says and smiles, settling back into his seat and sipping his water.

I realized then I took the bait he offered, to see if I was at least somewhat in control. Fine, I would have done the same thing. I let my anger dissipate. There's still that defiance in me that wants to unleash that power I can't control, but I don't give into it.

"The thing you'll realize about your demon powers is that they're much more volatile than your angel powers. If you can control the rage that comes with that magic, you'll be able to wield the angel powers with no issue. There's a reason your wolf thought it was best to hold the angel powers back. You think the rage is bad now? Just wait until you have your full power available to you. You will rattle the world, Amara." My dad says to me

I felt the truth in his words. I close my eyes and take a deep inhale, letting those powers that rose, that anger, dissipate. I realized they rose in response to my insecurity. That self doubt that my mind harbors is uncontrollable, but my powers aren't. Maybe I can't control those dark thoughts that haunt me, but I can control this. I look down at my hands and will that obsidian mist out of my fingertips, and then I pull it back. I do it again, and again, making sure my subconscious knows that I'm in control. I feel the buzz of magic rush through me, but I don't push it back.

I am your master. You listen only to me. You unleash yourself only when I allow it. I command that buzz, and to my surprise it listens. Fine, I see why he got me irritated. I look up at him, and I can see the pride gleaming in his eyes. It's enough to make me smirk, these powers are for me to control. The power doesn't control me.

"Fine. We go to your home tomorrow, Sophie, Seth, Gemma, and Roman come with us. And then you teach me" I tell him, maybe I sound a little too cocky but I feel on top of the world right now

"Of course, and let me just add that I'm proud of you. You have a lot more control over your power than I originally thought. I was prepared to protect this cafe from collapsing." he says, still teasing me

I shoot him a glare, but he just laughs and stands up to walk home. Fine, I'll go with him. Even though he's a cocky fuck.