"Of course; go ahead."

Sitting down on the arm of the couch, I undid the clasp on my shoes and pulled them off, resisting the urge to fling them across the room.

As I worked, I watched Jason rearrange the candles, leaving two on the mantle and placing others on the end tables before dragging the coffee table out of the way.

Setting my shoes over by my bag, I walked up to him, "So, what's the plan?"

"One second," Jason held up a pointer finger as he walked over to the kitchen, picking up the phone he'd left on the counter. Turning off the lights, he left us in the flickering candlelight, pausing after a moment's thought to kick off his shoes.

Returning to my side, Jason opened something on his phone, meeting my curious stare as he pressed a button.

Almost immediately, music flowed out of the speaker system, soft, soulful-

-and familiar.

I felt my eyes widen as the song we'd joked about began filling the living room. "Wait, what?"

Jason set his phone down on the mantle, placing one hand on my waist and pulling me closer to him. "I can't in good conscience let your prom night end until you've had at least one slow dance."

My heart stuttered in my chest.

Licking my lips, I thought about Nate, "Well, I mean-"

Jason shook his head, taking my hand in his, "That wasn't dancing - that was babysitting. Doesn't count."

Leaning into his warmth, I rested my free hand on his shoulder, "So you set up a mini-prom in your living room?"

"Well, as much as I could throw together on very short notice..." Jason looked up, surveying the results of his effort.

Threading my fingers between his, I rose up on tiptoe to place a kiss on his cheek. "It's very sweet - thank you."

He squeezed my hand, and slowly, we began to sway to the music.

Laying my head against his chest, I let him lead us, our footsteps cushioned by the low pile carpet.

The warm pressure of his hand on my waist shifted slightly to the small of my back. Glancing up, I found him watching me, and I held his gaze, melting under the blazing heat of his eyes.

And then his foot stepped on mine.

"Shit - sorry!" Jason stumbled slightly in his hurry to move.

I chuckled, pulling him closer, "It's fine - don't worry about it."

"I probably should have warned you that I'm not much of a dancer..." His voice rumbled through us, like thunder from a distant storm.

Smiling, I placed his hand on my hip, moving to link mine behind his neck, "You're still the best partner I've had tonight."

This new position pressed my body tight against his, and as we danced, I felt every movement through the soft fabric of my dress - every subtle brush, every glancing touch...

"You know," Jason's voice sounded huskier than it had been moments before, "there's something I need to apologize for."

"Hmm?" I rested my head against the strong column of his throat, breathing in his uniquely masculine scent.

"Earlier, I said you look 'very nice'..."

"Yeah?"

He tilted my chin up to look at him, "I understated the truth. You don't look 'very nice' - you're beautiful."