XXIII. The Duke's Power

Start from the beginning

It is not only the enemy that is afraid.

There were several cases where the map was changed, and they crossed a threshold of death, and the last food delivered was half rotten. It was also important to filter out infiltrators whenever they had time.

Someone is aiming for his life. The criminal was so obvious.

"Your Highness."

"You're all having a hard time because of me."

The year has already changed after going to the front lines. His aides, Lord Wilhelm, and other men are buttering him up without a word. But Alex was slowly reaching his limit.

For him, the Palace was always an uncomfortable place. He thought it would be better to be out, but as it turned out, it was impossible to even meet a few friends.

Alex closed his eyes and remembered the stunning Valentine's mansion. The kind sister and brother, who lived there surrounded by greenery, became good friends with Alex, who was lonely.

"A letter has arrived again today."

"Really?"

Alex's only pleasure was letters delivered from the capital. He didn't expect such warmth even from his father, who only contacted him on political matters.

He opened the envelope of the letter with joy.

"It's already been so long."

There were two letters in the envelope that arrived in the name of Clara Valentine, Valentine's adoptive daughter.

Clara Valentine. Despite being a foster daughter, she was loved by his younger brother, who didn't share the same blood.

And Ciel Valentine. He never sends a letter in his name. Considering his status as Valentine's favorite son, it can be assumed that it was to avoid the eyes of others.

"Do you have any good news?"

"Not really."

The content was perfectly normal. Ciel's letter was about his fight with the youngest of the brothers and always ended with the same sentence.

[I'll always be waiting for your safe return. Your Highness' good friend, Ciel.]

Good friend. Ciel deserves to be called a friend for approaching him first and doing him favors over and over again.

"Friends."

For the first time in his life, instead of His Highness or Crown Prince, he was called a friend. He paid tribute to his small friend because he wouldn't have made it this far without Ciel.

And then he opened Clara's letter. Along with the treatment of the poison that he asked about last time, the recent situation that Ciel did not write down was thoroughly revealed.

[Sometimes Ciel talks about you first. He knows you're struggling on the battlefield as if he is personally watching you.]

It was full of pride for his smart little brother. However, Alex focused on the content.

Not only did he show this much interest in him, but he reached out him hand first, which made him feel better.

"Sir Wilhelm, did you receive a letter from your wife?"

"Yes, it's always the same. How are you, how are you eating? Even when I'm home, that's the only thing that's important to her."

Lord Wilhelm, a devoted husband, used this opportunity to brag about it.

"Your wife seems to like you very much."

"I'm embarrassed if you say so, but it's quite a famous story."