Special Moments

You turn to leave in embarrassment as the atmosphere grows quiet and are stopped mid-step with something against your forehead. Your brow stitches and you fall somewhat backwards to get a better look at whatever has impeded the motion. Jake is standing over you, feet on either side of your hips and the tips of his hand with palm having stopped your climb to sitting position, the other hooked around your waist. You gape and fall backward again, scrunching your nose and looking away as if unimpressed.

He is still standing over you and it becomes plainly apparent you both come to the same realization at the same time. The tension in the air is palpable and it's like you can feel the warmth of one another's bodies without even touching. You wish you had the courage to place a hand on his chest and press your fingers up the elastic hem of the sweatpants to wrap a hand around his waist, to feel the bare skin above his boxers, to rise even further to the warm soft flesh of his abs.

You must break this feeling before you both start a fire, twisting to one side with a wriggle and freeing yourself. He obliges, removing himself from the position standing behind you. You both sigh. You turn your head toward him, and he to you, when you very quickly find each other's eyes a smile creeps itself across your lips involuntarily. You are both quiet, a breath's distance away, staring at one another as you rest your hands beneath you.

"You know," he says, voice somehow vibrating through your own throat. "I loved when were we friends too.... nerd."

You feel yourself giggle, a long foreign sensation. "Oh yeah?"

He nods, closing his eyes and nodding very seriously. "Yes."

"How come you're saying this now? Pity? Like a stray?"

It is half a joke, but he seems insulted. "Of course not!" You look at him and shrug. "You seemed... You seemed to be very inside of yourself. I thought if we could become friends that I might get to know you better."

"Well, you've definitely gotten closer," You agree, glancing at him again. You have never seen him this close. With his breath on you. His skin is seemingly pore less and his eyes are bigger and deeper than you ever thought they could be. From a distance, they are so dark they seem black but up close you are able to make out a ring of the warmest brown around his pupil.

You turn your head to look more directly at him and he does the same. "You're always around town. Even when I was training you were a fixture, even when we were in class, I jumped at your voice whenever I heard you answer the questions. No matter where I would go, like running past the same flower" Jake whispered. You are now blushing furiously.

"That's..." It's all you can muster. He smiles at you sort of mischievously and looks back up at the sky.

"Anyway, I'm glad to finally know the real you; I love you."

Your lips part to speak but you are unable. Your heart is racing in your chest and finally you can't help yourself. "Jake..."