When she gives her big brother a nod, she unintentionally reveals to me that she does understand English. But how much does she understand?

"Are you going to wear a yukata as well?" I ask her but don't receive an answer. Why do I even bother?

After dinner, Link and I say goodbye to his father and wish the family a good night before getting ready for bed. Having brushed our teeth and taken baths to rinse off, we're back to his room. The humidity is awful. I can't wait to return to AC. Link reads my mind and turns on the fan next to his desk.

"What time are we leaving tomorrow?" I ask him while he's changing.

"We can leave in the afternoon. It's a 3-hour journey to Fukuoka and most of the events start in the evening."

"Will you dress traditionally?"

"Do you want me to?" He doesn't seem too excited about the idea. "It's more common for girls."

I give him a reassuring smile. "Just wear something you'll be comfortable in then."

He gives me a kiss goodnight and turns off the lights.

"Oyasumi," I say confidently and repeat natsumatsuri in my head until I fall asleep.

✤ ✤ ✤

The next morning, we get ready for natsumatsuri. I remember that name now!

Link's mother has already prepared the clothing for Aryll and I and is currently styling her daughter's hair in front of a small mirror in the living room. Once she's done with Aryll, she helps me with my yukata and shows me how to tie the obi. Without understanding much Japanese, I can follow her instructions and know how to tie a decorative knot with the remaining length of the obi.

The mother points at the stairs, says something about Link, and then leaves to head upstairs. I'm assuming she's going to get him.

When Aryll turns around, she looks at me in shock. Insecurities start flushing over me and I instantly look down to find whatever is wrong with my yukata.

"So pretty," she whales to my surprise.

Confused and a bit flustered, I return the compliment. "You look really pretty too."

That must have been the first time she spoke to me without a territorial tone. She looks at herself again and almost starts tearing up. I don't know how to handle kids and have no idea how to comfort her.

She looks at her bow and opens it up to tie it all over again. After a couple of failed attempts, I walk up to her and offer my help. At first she declines but after she fails to fix her bow for the 10th time, she hesitantly allows me to tie it for her, and when she sees the result in the mirror, her cheeks take on the same color of the red flowers on her blue yukata.

"Arrigatou," she whispers, staring at the bow in awe. Back to Japanese, huh?

"You're welcome," I say in English, knowing she understands it.

"Woah," Link's voice startles us and we both turn toward the stairs. "You look beautiful."

"Which one?" I tease him.

"Both," he says, cheeks as flushed as those of his little sister.

Link is wearing a hoodie and shorts. As my eyes travel down to his sneakers, I notice the black brace around his knee.

"Are you in pain?" I ask concerned.

"No but we'll be walking a lot today so I want to give my leg some support."

"That's wise."

"Thanks."

"Are you sure this is a good idea to go with your knee and back and all?"