Chapter 1

Zoya's pov

Grrr grrr grrr, that was the sound of my alarm, I groaned and woke up to performed my ablution in other for me to pray my fajr Salah (morning prayer).

After that, I read the holy Qur'an (Muslims holy book) for like 30 minutes then went to the bathroom to do my morning duties.

When I came out of the bathroom it was already 7:30 and I panicked because my lecture starts in 30 minutes and school is like 15 minutes from my house and I don't know if Yaya will even help to drop me.

After wasting sometime in front of my closet I finally decided on a pink abaya with a matching hijab and shoe to go with it.

Few minutes later, I had my Ammi calling me for breakfast. But who have time for that now I said to myself.

Halleluiah, the glutton of the year said she dont have time for food. That was my sub-conscious talking.

when I am left with just little time to get late or miss my class, because the lecturer doesn't take shit from anyone and definitely won't tolerate late coming.
I ran down the steps like someone that has just seen the angel of death.
I went to my brother's room to call him to drop me at school. But guess what? He refused saying he don't want to go anywhere right now.

Dejectedly, I went to my parents to greet them.

"Abba Ina kwana" (good morning Abba). "Ammi Ina kwana" (Ammi good morning). I said hugging them both.

They both replied "kintashi lafiya" (how are you?).

"Lafiya kalau Alhamdulillah" (fine praise be to Allah). I peck them both as I saw Amna also sitting on the dining table, I Peck her also and then started going out before Ammi called out to me.

"Baby na, zo ki ci abinci mana (my baby come and eat your food first)." Ammi said.
"Ah ah Ammi ba zan iya ba na riga na yi late ko" (No I can't I am already late).

"Still you have to eat" Abba said.

The reason why I loved my parents so much is this, the are always worried about their children just like any other good parent would be.

"Abba, Ammi, you guys shouldn't worry I promised I will eat after my first class is over kun san Dr. Shehu will never tolerate late coming".

"Please kar ki manta" (do not forget) Ammi said.

Ammi don't worry about your child when it comes to food because your daughter is a real glutton that cannot do without food.

That was my freaking sub-conscious talking.

As I entered the school late, I checked the brand new watch Abba bought as a gift for me on my 19th year birthday as I decided to put it on today for the first time and it was already 7:57.

I started thanking my Lord that has just saved Me from the embarrassment of Mr. grumpy.

That's what we call him but his actual name is Dr. Shehu Sani. Ha ha ha, funny right but that man did many things that Mr. grumpy would not even fit him again.

I remember in our second semester 200 level that man chased a girl out of  his class because she wasn't dress properly.  But hey did I blame him?

That's a capital NO because I don't. I could say that's the first thing that man has done that is a good thing.

"Because you came to school not only for the certificate and the education but your character, your behavior, your personality, how you handle human beings, your ability to respond to situations, your ability to be creative in every impossible situations, your ability to engage with respect and a sense of dignity knowing that every human weather rich or poor, small or big are all the same and a lot more. Because in actual sense these are the things that are going to separate you outside".