[1]

My world was bathed in darkness, for as long as I could remember I dwelled in the dimly lit hallways of Konoha's Root division. The elite force situated deep underground of Konoha had been my home ever since my parents died when I was a child. The only thing they left me, the only connection I had to them was my name and that was something of little importance in Root. My given name was Izumi Yuki however in root I was referred to simply as Kyo.

Since being in the care of Root, Lord Danzo took it upon himself to oversee my training and push me to my absolute limits. I knew little of life's comforts or of material possessions, when I wasn't in the underground headquarters of Root, I was in the small, one roomed bungalow I called my home. Due to my upbringing, my skin was almost a sickly shade of white however it contrasted well with my raven hair and pink eyes.

My training was rigorous, being made to train 16 hours a day for 13 years, even after passing the final test and killing my only companion. My life remained nothing but training until my 17th birthday where I was summoned to a meeting held by Lord Danzo himself. Appearing beside his desk, I dropped to a bow and remained in position, noticing that Lady Tsuande was also in attendance.

"As you know Kyo, I have paid special attention to your training ever since you arrived here. I have not only transformed you in to a shinobi but also a weapon capable of devastating results. It is because of this that Konoha has a special mission awaiting you, one that has been planned for you many many years ago."

I remained silent, my head still bowed in respect as I listened to his words carefully. I had speculated that I was being trained for a particular task, my training differing slightly from the other members of Root.

"Stand and remove your mask. Let Tsunade meet you properly." Danzo's familiar voice seeped with authority, something I was accustomed to. Hearing his words, I raised my hand and removed the fox anbu mask from my face before rising to a standing position and facing the Hokage. Like all other members of Root, I was dressed in black ninja pants and a short black jacket with red straps over the shoulders that exposed my pale midriff. I wore my headband around my thigh, the metal adorning the leaf symbol catching the flickering light of the candles spotted around the room. Black tresses fell in waves down to my mid back while flames danced in my pink eyes, one of which was obstructed by a curtain of hair.

"Impressive. You certainly inherited the physical traits of the Yuki clan. You even possess the eyes." The hokage's words were guarded, she had her guard up and that was probably because she was in the presence of Lord Danzo. It is no secret the Root Division and Konoha didn't always get along, hence the mistrust. The blond's words would have caused my body to stiffen slightly if it had not been for the torturous training I experienced for most of my life. My heritage was something that was not discussed, despite being from a well know clan in Kirigakure. All that mattered now was that I was a member of Root and a resident of Konoha.

"Since you arrived in this village 13 years ago you've been trained for one thing and one thing only. To eliminate the Akatsuki threat." Lord Danzo's voice echoed in the dimly lit room while my face remained a mask of indifference. In root we are trained to move past our emotions, feelings only serving to hinder you in battle. We put all our trust in Lord Danzo and him alone.

"Do you accept this mission?" The words radiated from deep within Lady Tsunade's chest. I allowed my eyes to drift over to Lord Danzo, seeing him give me a curt nod instructing I was to accept. As I member of Root, anything Lord Danzo wishes of me, I would comply with regardless of my own personal opinion.

"I do."

With use of Lord Danzo and Lady Tsunade's connections, it was a matter of days before my name appeared in bingo books around the world. The Hokage and Lord Danzo fabricated a false story, incriminating me in the murder 26 people and attempted murder of Lady Tsunade herself. Lord Danzo was sure that this would capture the Akatsuki's attention, that being the ultimate goal here.

I was informed by Lady Tsunade that this mission was open ended, that it would continue until the Akatsuki threat was eliminated, however Lord Danzo gave me a two year limit after which, I was to evade the Akatsuki and return to Root for other assignments. I agreed without question before taking my leave.

Farewells were something I didn't worry myself with. Everyone I associated with was a member of Root themselves and although we were comrades, I cared as little for them as they did for me. Making my way straight to my room, I retrieved my back pack and began packing numerous summoning scrolls, weapons and a variety of other things.

With weapons, provisions and clothing packed, I exited my bare home and stepped out in to the mornings light. I had been on the streets of Konoha for a little less than 5 minutes before a member of the anbu black ops appeared in front of me.

"You are ordered to report to the Hokage immediately." The male's voice was deep and I couldn't place it so I simply nodded my head and changed my direction, making my way further into the village before walking up to the Hokage's office. Knocking on the door, I waited until a loud "enter" was heard from the other side.

Opening the door, my eyes fell upon Lady Tsunade before surveying the other people occupying the room.

"It can't be."