Part 2: Chapter 21

"Y/n."

Just along the sidewalk, a man in a trench coat called out his name. The unknown man was seen leaning on the cornerstone of a building as bystanders waltzed and trudged by.

The latter turned his head to the left, acknowledging the call.

It was a man he did not recognize.

"And you are...?" Y/n asked, looming over him.

"You needn't know my name."

By the man's tongue that emits a different language none other than English, it was already evident that he was a foreigner. He spoke in a deep monotone voice and was nearly the same height as the latter.

"Ah, you're not from here," Y/n said as he turned his whole body to the man in the trench coat, speaking in fluent English. "What is it?"

"..." The man in the trench coat grumbled. "Have you ever been in love?"

"...Love?"

"Love," the man in the trench coat continued. "It's such a wonderful feeling, no? It gives one the sense to protect, nurture, and cherish. Love is such...a dire feeling. Even so, it keeps everyone going. Even in my teenage years, I was driven by my love for my parents to achieve my goals, I was driven by the love for my future wife during my college days, and now, I'm driven by the love to protect my family and my country to exterminate people like you."

Then the man in the trench coat turned to the latter.

"Have you ever been in love?"

"..."

"Oh, I understand. Entities like you don't even know how to express any form of love. So....my apologies for even asking."

Y/n grinned. "Oh, it's no problem at all. I'll just be on my way then after you've uttered your meaningless monologue," he said as he started to step further down the city's sidewalk.

"..." the man in the trench coat scoffed. "You're underestimating me. Don't. You'll drop on the ground like every other devil I faced."

Y/n just chuckled. "Big talk for a man with zero knowledge of what I am," he retorted. "Do some digging before you even attempt to lay a finger on me."

"..."

As the latter went silent, Y/n scoffed internally before waltzing away.