"Want some?" The spicy, cinnamon odor of his breath filled the car as he smirked, "You might loosen up."

Sour irritation filled my mouth - it didn't take a genius to guess exactly what kind of loose he wanted me to be tonight.

"No, thanks."

Across the way, Owen held his hand out, "I'll take some."

Screwing the cap back on, Nate tossed it over, sitting back to drape his arm around my shoulder, thumb caressing my bare skin.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Slowly, I let myself sink back into the soft, leather seat, leaning over to whisper in his ear-

"If you touch me without my permission one more time, I'm going to break your fucking fingers."

Smiling, I sat up as Nate's arm snaked away from me.

Minutes passed as the mood lightened and the limousine approached Prom. Apparently, it was being held in a retired municipal building downtown that had been renovated and turned into a wedding and events venue.

Better than the gym, I guess.

Pulling up before a large, column-fronted building, the limousine parked as the driver emerged to open the door for us.

Through the tinted windows, I watched as my classmates arrived in clusters, pairs and singletons, dressed to the nines for our penultimate high school rite of passage.

Then came my turn to exit the limo - and while there is no truly dignified way to exit a limousine, at least I can say that I tried.

Shaking out my skirt, I waited while Faith spoke with the driver, arranging for our ride to the after party.

And, out of the corner of my eye, I caught sight of Will, my ex, waiting at the entrance with his friends.

I would have been his date tonight, except...

The familiar, old anger built within, but this time it was softer, quieter.

It doesn't hurt as much.

He turned, startled, as his eyes met mine.

Wordlessly, I tilted my chin up, staring back at him.

And then, I looked away.

As the limo drove off, our crew got in line, laughing and joking as we waited for admittance.

And, inwardly, I felt a peace that I'd been craving, a peace I never thought I'd regain.

I think I'm going to be okay.

Inside, we were directed toward the "Grand Ballroom," a large, raucous chamber lined with tables and vibrating with the bass coming out of the DJ's speakers.

Bright, vividly colored lights lined the walls, pulsing in time with the beat.

I felt a grin working its way across my face, and after claiming a table and dumping my purse on one of the seats, I let Sierra drag me out on to the dance floor, pulse humming to the tune of one of my favorite songs.

When the music switched, Sierra brought her lips close to my ear, asking, "Did Nate actually try to proposition you at dinner, or did I imagine that?"

Scoffing, I shook my head, "He did. I think he's already drunk."

Sierra pulled back, rolling her eyes. "Classy."

I shrugged, nonchalant. Nate was the kind of guy who peaked in high school and spent the rest of his life trying to recapture that magic.

I could be angry about his handsy, oafish behavior, but it was honestly easier to pity him.

Scanning the edges of the room, I recognized a handful of my teachers and sighted Amanda and Paul. Amanda looked exuberant and youthful in her deep red cocktail dress. Paul, on the other hand, looked like Paul.

But they weren't who I was looking for.

Attempting subtlety, I searched for Jason.

Spirits dropping, I cast my gaze to the darkened corners of the room, hoping to catch sight of his broad shoulders and warm, dark eyes.

And then he appeared, walking in as he sipped from a water bottle, courtesy of the refreshments table in the hall.

Goddamn...

He wasn't wearing his casual T-shirt and jeans anymore.

The strong column of his throat stood out against the deep blue of his suit, and the open buttons at the neck of his collared shirt revealed a tantalizing hint at his powerful, muscled chest.

Breathless, I watched his Adam's apple bobbing up and down as he swallowed, sparking a fierce need to taste him there...

Then, as though magnetically drawn by my desire, his gaze found mine.

He smiled, raising the bottle in a friendly toast, but there was a fire in his eyes to match my own.

Jason...

And, in that moment, everything else in the room ceased to exist – the music, the chaperones, my partying classmates, all of them faded away into background noise as I smiled back, desperately wishing that I could cross the room and kiss him.

Impossible.

It could never happen.

We were a pairing eternally doomed to the shadows; shameful, furtive and forbidden.

Even so, I couldn't smother the bright spark of hope that somehow, some way, the laws of fate would bend just enough to let us be.