Girl You're Alright

Beginne am Anfang

"Hi, baby!" I grin, grabbing him from my mom and kissing his nose. "I missed you."

Hudson smiles his crooked little smile, showing off his four teeth. I feel us being watched and turn to look over my left shoulder and there's Levi. He's looking at us with what seems to be a longing expression.

I turn away, pretending I haven't noticed. His actions today have confused me and I don't trust his motives.

"What happened to your neck?" My mom sounds horrified. She must have gotten a good look when I turned.

"Just a little training mishap." I answer, trying to avoid any other questions. "I'm ok."

"Alright." She sighs. She knows she won't get anything else out of me.

"I'm gonna take Hudson. I'll bring him back when I have to leave." I wrap my free arm around my mom, giving her a side hug.

She kisses my temple. "Be careful. I need you to stay in one piece." She whispers. "I love you."

"I love you too, Momma."

"Look who I brought to see his favorite aunties?" I say, sneaking up behind Arri and Len.

"Ahhhh!" They squeal, simultaneously.

"Dibs!" Eleanor shouts as she takes Hudson from my arms.

"No fair!" Arri pouts. She grabs my sons feet, kissing his toes as he sits in Lennie's lap.

Someone sits in the empty seat beside me. It's Asher. "I heard you had a son, he's cute." He says giving Hudson a smile. "Hey, buddy."

Hudson grins in response, loving the attention he's getting from everyone. "He looks like you." Asher says, turning to me.

"I'm going to assume that's a compliment." I say.

Before he can respond, Eric is at our table. "Can I see my son?" His voice is far from friendly. Eleanor shoots me a look, asking for my permission. I nod.

She hands Hudson over and he snuggles into Eric's broad chest. "Da!" He shrieks with a giggle.

Eric smiles down at him, kissing the top of his head. It's the first time he's been gentle all day and everyone at the table takes notice.

"I didn't know you were his father." Asher says and I inwardly groan, knowing what's coming next.

"Well now you know." Eric sneers, puffing his chest.

I watch as Asher sizes him up. He takes in Eric's size and gulps, clearly intimidated. "I gotta go meet some friends. I'll see you later, Ophelia."

He leaves before I can say goodbye. I shoot Eric a glare, trying not to seem amused by his actions. He looks smug. "Wipe that smirk off your face." I warn, standing from the table. "Give me, Goober. I have to give him back to my mom now."

"Let me come with you." It comes out as a demand but I see the question in his eyes.

"Fine." I roll my eyes. If we're going to make people believe we're not together, I've got to fool my best friends too. "I'll meet you back at the Pit." I tell them.

They send me sympathetic glances as I take Hudson and leave the table with Eric right behind me.

"Can I come see you both tonight?" He asks once we're far enough away.

"Of course." I say. "You don't ever have to ask that."

"Just wanted to make sure. I figured you'd made plans with your new friend." The jealousy in his tone is hard to miss.

"Eric." I warn, but say nothing else.

He's silent for a moment and I can tell he's frustrated. "Sorry." He grumbles, but it doesn't sound sincere.

I stop by an empty table on my way to my mom. "Eric, you have nothing to worry about. It's you, it's always been you."

He looks relieved and I'm still unsure how he could question my feelings for him.

"I'll let you take Hudson back by yourself. Your mom's table is crowded and I don't want to draw more attention to us." He kisses Hudson on the forehead. "I'll come by around 9 tonight."

"That's fine." I nod. "He'll be asleep but we can wake him up for a bit."

"Ok." Eric agrees. "I'll see you then. I'm busy with Leadership the rest of the day but I'm having Four cover for me. I'll never leave you alone with Levi again, not after this morning." He explains.

I smile at how much he cares for me. I want to kiss him, but know I can't. "I love you." I whisper.

"I love you, too. Stay safe." He says and then leaves.

My head is consumed with thoughts of him for the rest of the day.