ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ • ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

Start from the beginning

Yesterday's practice was kinda off to be honest. Nobody really said anything, but I could tell they wanted to. I wish they'd just go ahead and say what they had on their mind—it wasn't gonna change anything, but it sure as hell beat acting like scared-ass children.

"I'm thinking we run our Gorilla Warfare play against that Georgia team in the semi-finals we have in two weeks. They're usually a pretty passive and reactive team, using an aggressive style will catch them off guard." Our coach spoke, looking down at us all as we took our seats on the field.

"Thoughts on that Marino?" He then asked. It was common for him to get my input on certain plays since I was captain.

"I actually think they'll be expecting that coach," I shrugged.

"We've been playing aggressively all season—teams are gonna start prepping for that now." I continued, standing up so that I was next to him now.

"Not using aggression to capitalize on a passive team sounds like a mistake to me." He shook his head.

"Passive teams wait for aggressive teams to make a mistake." I told him, ignoring the whispers and snickers I'd hear every time I'd speak.

"...I'm not taking no directions from this nigga no more.."

A voice whispered, and I couldn't really pinpoint where it came from, but I damn sure heard it.

"Why not?" I spoke up, looking down at my whole team now.

Silence

"Now everybody's quiet... c'mon tell me why my leadership is under question now?" I asked again.

Silence

as expected.

"Back to what I was saying, we can go the aggressive route coach—at the end of the day you're the boss, I just wanna weigh the pros and cons." I sighed.

"—and I do appreciate that Yamir, but I still think the aggressive route will be better, today we'll practice like that and see how it goes." He nodded.

"—I want you all to start getting some laps in to warm up, Mir' you lead." He stated finally.

"Gotchu." I replied.

"Nah.." a voice spoke up again.

This time someone finally stood up, Darren

I looked across at him in confusion as he spoke again, "with all due respect coach, I think it's time for a new captain."

There was silence for a bit after that, then I chuckled.

"ok." I nodded.

Our coach then looked between us in confusion before he spoke, "Darren we don't have time for one of your little games, okay, let's be serious and start these laps."

"Coach I'm being serious," Darren repeated, "I think it's time for a change, Yamir isn't that guy anymore—I mean c'mon, he just got hurt, isn't that the proof."

I continued to look at him flatly the whole time. This was the same guy who texted me the day after my concussion to let me know he was "holding it down."

The same guy that followed me around like a shadow and would walk on water if I asked him to.

"Darren now is not the time for—"

"Let him do it." I spoke up, cutting off my coach.

Upon hearing that, everyone looked over at me in question.