ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ • ғɪᴠᴇ

Start from the beginning

"We won't make it before the blizzard hits, the best thing to do is to wait it out." I told him.

"—don't worry though, we got a generator for the lodge just in case anything crazy happens," I told him.

"On top of that—that hurricane is supposedly gonna hit the entire east coast, so going back home won't be much better than staying here, I'm pretty sure they're gonna cancel school for a couple days." I explained.

I swear between my concussion, and now the weather...it feels like I haven't been to school in forever.

"wow," he sighed, throwing his head back against the pillow.

"I know—but it's okay, we'll be safe here. This place was built to withstand blizzards, don't even worry about it, love."

I could tell by his expression he was still a little nervous, so I did what I knew he liked best, I connected our lips gently.

When we broke it, his expression was more calm, which in turn made me feel a little better.

"Aight I'll be back, shouldn't take me more than thirty minutes." I let him know.

"—you should probably call your dad and give him a rundown on the weather, so he won't trip out." I spoke, causing us both to laugh.

He nodded and with that, I went ahead on my way outside.

At the back of the lodge, there were large logs that were put in place just in case whoever was staying needed more firewood.

I can't lie, it was fucking freezing out here, despite the quality thermal attire I had on.

It was fine though, as long as Hayden was comfortable everything was ok.

After grabbing the axe I positioned it at the base of the tree log before pulling back and slamming it down, slicing off a good rectangular chunk.

I continued like that for fifteen minutes until I had a good pile to my right. By this point, the wind had really picked up, and the snow was coming down heavily.

I'm sure this would be enough wood to keep us warm for a while anyways—so I planned on returning inside soon.

I mean we had heat, but the fireplaces worked a lot better for heating specific rooms.

Just as I had put all the wood away onto the gurney to carry back into the lodge, I heard what sounded like a cat meowing.

Honesty there was no way a cat would be out here in snow this deep, with the climate this cold—so I really doubted myself for a second.

That was until I heard it again, and this time I followed the sound back to where I heard it.

I ended up looking under the platform deck near the house, where I spotted one damp, trembling, freezing-looking cat.

"woah," I mumbled, surprised at both what I saw, and the fact it was even alive out here.

Upon seeing me the animal immediately crawled from under the crevice and approached my crouching body.

I was apprehensive to touch it at first, but it really didn't seem hostile, if anything I think it wanted me to help it.

"whatchu doin' out here buddy?" I questioned lowly, scratching underneath the animal's chin.