t w e l v e

IVY BOYD

"Good morning, princess." I hear JJ say from beside me. He propped himself up on his elbow to lean over me.

The group had crashed at a shack last night. JJ and I slept on the floor a foot apart, so we didn't raise any suspicions. Kie, Pope, and Hazel made themselves comfortable on some benches.

"Morning, Jay." I whisper as I notice everyone else was still asleep.

"How'd you sleep?" He asks me as he scoots closer to me, brushing a few strands of hair out of my eyes.

"Horrible, but I'm glad I'm with you guys." I smile up at him.

"Me too, Ives. Me too." He sighs, giving me a kiss on my forehead before getting up and leaning against a window.

Sirens were nonstop throughout the night, making it hard for me to sleep. Fear was all I could feel.

"Is there a need for that?" I ask JJ as he clicks the gun in his hands. Forcing my sore body up, I stand by the window with him.

"You never know." JJ shrugs.

"He's pinched for sure, man." Pope's voice made me jump.

"No. They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him." Kie chimes in.

After last night, I could sense the awkward tension between them. I never failed to notice Pope's admiration for Kie, which makes me feel bad for him.

"Let's hope." I say as I rub my eyes. Hazel stumbles her way towards us, clearly not fully awake yet.

"You know, we were in that car. They're probably looking for us, too." Hazel admits, making my stomach go uneasy.

"Well, if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John B." Pope says before grabbing keys to the dirt bike.

"So, find him before they do? Pope?" JJ asks him.

"I'm gonna get gas for the boat." Pope dryly says as he makes his way towards the door.

"Hey, you be careful. Okay?" Kie worries, and gets no response from Pope. He is visibly still upset over last night, and I don't blame him.

"Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late." Pope demands before leaving the shack.

"Okay, what is your problem?" Kie asks as she follows him. JJ, Hazel, and I trail behind her from afar.

"No problem, Officer. I'm just doing my job." Pope spits.

"Look, I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings." Kie apologizes as she steps closer to the dirt bike Pope had just got on. He reeves the engine as she speaks, drowning her voice out.

"What was that?" He glared at her.

"Look, I didn't mean to." She defends herself but Pope being arrogant and revving the engine once more.

"Sorry, I can't hear you. What was that?" Pope gives her a mean look.

"Pope, I'm being serious--." Kie tries to talk but is cut off again by the engine. "I'm trying to talk to you!"