n i n e

JJ MAYBANK

A groan escapes my lips as I wake up with no feeling in my right arm. Struggling to open my eyes to the bright room, I see a sleeping Ivy in my arms.

Fuck.

John B had told me a few days ago to not try anything on Ivy because it's Sarah's friend. I mean, technically I didn't do anything but my sleeping self did.

She stirs in her sleep a bit, but I'm too scared to move to awaken her. Her dark brown hair flows onto my chest. Somehow in the night she ended up halfway on me with my arms hugging her close and our legs intertwined. Her head was rested against my chest.

Last nights memories fill my head, making me immediately feel like shit. She should have never been put in that situation to see me in that state.

I had tried to give my dad the money I stole but he was going to use it on himself. As always, he beat me up when I protested. I nearly killed him, but I'm too weak to do that.

A part of me still has hopes my dad will change one of these days. I'd come home to see the house clean and him making dinner with a smile on his face. A happy family.

But as usual it never happens. He can't stay sober for more than ten minutes. It's been that way since my mom left us. Even she knew how much of low-life he was.

"Morning, Jay." Ivy's soft voice is a bit raspy as she moves under my touch.

Since I've met her, I've always wanted to just hear her voice on repeat. It has a slight British accent to it, which I adored. Not only was she some gorgeous tan girl but she doesn't even care what life is Pogues come from. She treats us all as equal and it shows her beautiful soul.

"Good morning, princess." I smile, wishing this was how every morning could be.

"What time is it?" She lifts her head to look at me. Her greenish eyes glimmer as the light from the window shines on her.

"It's almost ten." I inform her as I look at my phone.

"Shut up. Fuck." She gets up quickly, giving me a view of her in my clothes. I try my best not to stare at the lovely sight, but my eyes have a mind of their own.

"What's wrong?" I sit up onto my elbows.

"My best friend is flying in at eleven." She stressed as she frantically grabs all of her belongings.

"You can keep those." I point at my shirt and sweatpants.

"Thank you. I.. I don't know when I'll bring Hazel around. But I will see you later." She gives me a forgiving smile.

"That's okay. Hey, thank you for last night." I grab her hand.

"Anything for you, Jay." Her face softens.

Jay.

Her new found nickname has been imprinted in my brain. I could listen to her say it all day, everyday.

"I really have to get going." She kissed my forehead and makes her way out of the chateau.

Her simple actions, such as kissing my forehead, made my mind run wild. Around Outer Banks I'm known as a player. But ever since I met Ivy, I cant get her out of my head. Every girl seems so bland compared to her. They can't compete to the girl I had recently met, and it drove me wild.

I've never been happier to get caught sneaking into someone's house.

• • •