t h r e e

IVY BOYD

Putting on gold hoop earring, my last finishing touch, I smile at myself in the mirror. My dark hair is wavy and sits just below my ribs. My four inch heels, which are a emerald green, are only shown through the slit that goes from my higher thigh to the ground.

"You look beautiful, Ives." I jump at the sound of Rafe. Glancing over, I see him leaning against my doorway wearing a baby blue suit with a darker blue bow tie.

"Thank you." I smile as him with blush creeping onto my cheeks.

"Come on, angel. Our families are waiting for us downstairs." He holds out his hand for me to take. I grab my green hand bag, that matches my heels, and give Rafe my hand.

We make our way downstairs and he doesn't let go of my hand. He keeps my close as if he's worried I'll disappear. A weird yet comforting gesture.

• • •

Rafe and I walk hand in hand into the party. With Sarah and my brother next to us, we make our 'grand' entrance.

"I will never understand the whole big deal about this party." I complain as I take a glass of champagne from a waiter.

"It's a celebration, best thing us Kooks are good at." Rafe shrugs.

"Don't drink too much, Ivy." Max crosses his arms, giving me a motherly look.

"After the boneyard event, I won't let her." Rafe deals his arm over my shoulder.

"You guys have no sense of fun." I grumble, taking a sip from my glass.

"If having fun means a mouth full of sand every ten minutes, then sure." Sarah chuckles, leaning against a high top table.

"I'll keep an eye on her tonight, no trouble making tonight." Rafe looks down on me with a small smirk.

"Oh god, Kiara is here." Sarah rolls her eyes.

Kiara Carrera is Sarah's old best friend. I don't know what happened between them, but I do know they hate each other. I look over and see the curly haired girl talking to a dark skinned boy. Kiara's dress is unbelievably beautifully, purple silk.

"Hey. Hey, Sarah. Hey. I waited on you. You said you wanted to walk in together." Topper jogs your to Sarah.

"Yeah, well, I came with my parents and the Boyd's." Sarah mumbles, not looking up at the boy.

"Can we talk for a sec?" He asked her and she nods. The two walk off together.

"Wheezie told me she doesn't even want to be with him anymore." Rafe whispered in my ear.

"I wouldn't want to either." I admit. Topper seems like a nice guy but very manipulative at the same time.

Sarah makes her way back to us after a few minutes and she doesn't look too happy. It's good for her to do what she wants, but I don't know what she's hiding. She sucks at keeping secrets.

"Hey, I see Kelce. Rafe, you coming?" Max questions Rafe, who nods.

"Just the two of us, finally." I joke as the boys disappear and finish my glass.

"Ugh, I just can't handle Topper being so controlling." Sarah groans, grabbing another glass and chugging it down.

"Slow your roll, we have to be here all night." I laugh.

• • •

The sun had set and Sarah and I are now dancing. Feeling the buzz from all the champagne I've had made me feel confident.