14. She's Gone

Jesper was pacing back and forth with a look of pure stress and concern plastered on his face as Kaz approached him at the fountain.

It was now light; the darkness had gone, and it had taken Winnie with it.

Jesper saw Kaz limping over and immediately stopped his pacing.

"Where are they? The heartrender came after me, the Inferni went after Inej. Winnie went with you, didn't she? Is she ok? Where is she?" he said quickly.

Kaz opened his mouth to reply but before he could Inej fell from a high rock next to them both. She was cradling the right side of her torso with her hand, blood covering her shirt.

Jesper ran over to her and used his arms to support her.

"The Inferni, she's dead", Inej said.

Jesper and Kaz shared a look towards one another, knowing about Inej's religious aversion to killing.

"Where's Winnie?" Inej asked through painful breaths.

Kaz averted his gaze down to his now broken cane.

On his way to the fountain he let his anger out whilst he was still alone.

During his rage he had smacked his cane against a rock so many times it had cracked in two.

He didn't think it was possible since it was fabrikator made. But his own strength fuelled by his fury showed him otherwise.

Inej and Jesper shared a look, knowing what his silence meant.

She wasn't coming. She was gone.

"Did he take her?" Jesper asked with a slight pang of anger in his tone.

Kaz looked up with his signature blank expression.

"Yes."

"We have to find her", Inej groaned as she went to stand up.

"You can't manage a horse. Not even riding double", Jesper pointed out.

"We'll have to come up with another plan", he added, holding Inej up.

"That's a pretty nice ride", Kaz said as he turned to the carriage the Grisha and Kirigan had arrived in.

"Yes, indeed it is", Jesper said mischievously as Kaz turned to limp up to the carriage.

Jesper helped Inej over and rested her down on a rock as he walked over to one of the doors and swung it open to reveal a Grisha reading a book inside.

"Hello", Jesper greeted with a large smile.

The Grisha threw the book at Jesper and headed for the opposite door.

As he got out, Kaz came up behind him and whacked him over the head with one half of his cane, knocking the Grisha out cold.

"He threw a book at me", Jesper said as he appeared by Kaz who gestured to get Inej into the carriage.

The three crows eventually arrived at an abandoned barn where Inej could take the time to heal quickly so they could get going again.

Kaz laid out the little objects they had left, including a few coins and his broken cane.

"Is this all we have left?" Inej said as she went to analyse her wound from the Inferni. "Jesper, my bag."

Jesper started gagging as handed Inej her bag and caught sight of her open wound.

"It's not healing on its own. I need to stich it", Inej said as she rested against some piled up sacks.

"How long before you can travel?" Kaz asked.