6. The Goat

Winnie had no idea where she was headed.

Kaz had dragged her out of the Crow Club where he had left Inej and the Conductor under Jespers care, to make sure Inej didn't get any ideas.

"Oh Saints, Brekker. Where are you taking me? I'm not a fan of men dragging me off somewhere I don't know", Winnie complained.

Kaz ignored her as he pulled an envelope with a blood red seal out of his coat pocket.

"What's that?" Winnie questioned. It was more her speaking her mind out loud to herself as she knew Kaz wasn't going to give her any answers.

She continued to openly demand for them and being met with nothing but silence from Kaz until he abruptly stopped in front of a place Winnie knew all too well.

"The Menagerie?" she said.

Kaz clutched the envelope in between his two hands. It appeared as if he was stalling in some way. His mind racing trying to find a way to not do what he was about to do. But after a small glance towards Winnie, he took a deep breath and went inside.

Winnie had never directly entered the Menagerie before. She had tailed Inej one too many times and had the image of her Suli friends distressed face pictured in her mind every time she had to go inside.

Inej had never filled her in completely on what went on inside the Menagerie, or what she had to do under Tante Heleens employment. All Winnie knew was that it was diabolical, and she needed to remove Inej from it as soon as she possibly could.

They got to a large double door which was opened by a bouncer.

Kaz limped inside in a hurry and Winnie had to take a leap forward to follow him.

As she rounded the corner, she laid eyes on Tante Heleen. She had blonde hair styled up in a bun with a gorgeous dress made of what Winnie could only assume was the finest silks Ketterdam had to offer. Her office was well decorated in mustard yellow and green plants.

But Winnie didn't let appearances cloud her judgement. She was aware of the demon that sat in front of her.

"I'm taking her", Kaz said in a demanding tone.

"And when we return, I'll have the buyout to clear the books."

Tante Heleen watched him speak with a calm face and evil lurking behind her eyes.

She glanced over in Winnie's direction, a small smirk forming in the corner of her lips.

Kaz stepped in front of Winnie, blocking her from Tante Heleens view and walked towards her desk.

"Until then, this is my collateral", he stated and handed her the mysterious envelope.

"What do you have that could possibly be enough?" the demon asked.

Winnie was wondering the same thing. She had spent months trying to work out a way to free Inej from this hell and had come up with nothing that Tante Heleen would even consider accepting.

The witch used a letter opener to cut the seal in two and pulled out a sheet of paper from the inside.

"The Crow Club?" she said with slight disbelief in her voice.

Winnie's breath hitched. Kaz Brekker was offering his entire Crow Club to this hag to get Inej back?

It was almost unbelievable.

"Well, I stand corrected. Inej is yours to lose now", she said in a taunting tone as she stood and offered out her hand for Kaz to shake.

He hesitated but eventually shook her hand, solidifying the deal.