- The Scorch -

The pain was excruciating. All I could hear was my voice crackling. I screamed, my hands were numb yet I the stinging sensation was there, I could feel my skin being burnt off. "GREENIE!!" Newt shouted, "NO! Stay....there. You will burn quicker" I managed to get out, I dropped to my knees and buried my hands in the sand, the sand burnt my knees but they didn't catch fire for some reason. Beneath the top layer I could feel the cool grain and the burning stopped. I stopped screaming and breathed. My hands were stinging I gently lifted them out of the sand and went back into the room with the stairs. I felt Newts arms around me but I pushed him off, I was in too much pain. I held my hands in front of me and looked at them. They were red raw, patches of skin had burnt off and I swore I could see bone. "You can't go out there. Not with bare skin showing anyway." I said wincing as I placed my hands on my lap. "Wait why did only your hands burn and not your legs?" Thomas asked me, this wakes true, why was it only my hands that caught fire, then I thought back to when ratman said I shouldn't go as things will get worse for me, this is what he meant I suppose. "They said I shouldn't have came." I said.

We sat there in silence for a few minutes "look we have 2 weeks to get to some place. Greenie are you okay?" Minho said sitting down next to me, "yeah....wait what?!" I said as I looked at my hands, I watched and my skin slowly began re appearing. The stinging feeling got less and less every few seconds. "Oh how are you doing that?" Newt said with his mouth hanging open. After 2 minutes the skin had stopped healing, I still had blisters and my hands still hurt a tonne but I could no longer see any bone, it looked like I'd split boiling water on my hands, not that my hands just caught fire from the sun!

"Cover your skin" I said, and this boys took sheets out of their bags and put them over themselves, I ripped off a piece of Newts and wrapped it around my hands. I was fairly confident my face and legs wouldn't catch fire but we will see. I used my sheet to help Winston! "Ready?" I said as all the boys put their packs back on. They nodded and we stepped out into the sand. "Woah this is hot!" They boys said in unison. They stood still and I waited for more flames but nothing happened. I was the only one uncovered and I didn't burst into flames either. My skin started glowing red but it didn't burn it was just warm. "Let's keep moving we go that way!" I said pointing towards the faint outlines of the buildings. We started to walk, all the time I couldn't get the feeling of my skin burning off, it was almost like it was planned, I'm not burning now, and nowhere else burned. I hate a horrible feeling WICKED were punishing me for coming. But they knew I'd heal...I heal quicker than normal so why bother? I shook my head and tried to get the thought out of my head for a while. I felt Newts hand touch mine, and I flinched because of the pain "oh I'm sorry!" He said "it's fine!" I smiled at him, he leaned in and kissed me on the head, he stayed close to me all the way to the buildings. Our feet sunk in the fresh fine sand and we walked.

There was a loud scream. "Teresa!" Thomas shouted and he ran off towards the building. "Tommy wait!" I shouted, I threw my bag down and ran after him. The other boys stayed where they were.

"Wait Tommy!" I shouted again, I had a bad feeling about this.