The only words she had spoken in years had been a request to leave the home she shared with Theia. Her knees gave out and Theia hit the floor. Nothing she had done had been enough. Everything she had worked for was never enough.

Her rage fell in silent tears, fists clenched against the door. She had always disliked the High family for choosing one City over the entire Court, for ignoring the constant rape, torture, and poverty in her village. Now, their son had exposed her life to their eyes and her mother chose to follow them. Not enough, never enough.

———————
Theia awoke on the floor by the front door in a fit of shivers. Her teeth chattered endlessly, the hearth empty. She rose from the floor, body aching. Daylight crept through the curtains, dust dancing in its wake. Her head spun as she stood. She was late to open the bakery.

Theia cursed, trudging to the bathing chamber and washing herself with cold water. When she was finished, she rifled through the bag she had packed the night before and pulled out anything to warm her bones. She settled for a wool tunic and leggings. Her hair hadn't been washed in at least two days, so she tied it up with a spare piece of leather and left the house.

The sun was too high for the morning. Theia was far too late for her shift. By the time she got to the bakery, there was a line out the door.

"Theia! Get behind the damned counter!" Calliope ordered as she raced into the kitchen. Theia flushed and hurried to the counter, taking orders and handing out food. Calli was behind on baking since she had to open on her own, so too many people crowded the counter while waiting for fresh pastries.

"I'm sorry for your wait, here you go," Theia mumbled, pushing a paper bag of pastries toward a customer. They grunted in response, sending a flicker of frustration through her. Finally, the rush slowed and Calli came out to the front. Her frizzy grey-streaked brown hair was wild, her eyes narrowed.

"What is wrong with you? Leaving me to fend for myself?"

Her words reminded Theia of Nyx's from the night before. The thought of her mother being alone with that male made her tremble.

"I'm sorry, it won't happen again. I had a rough night."

"I can see that. Working at the tavern does not welcome good habits, Theia. Do you steal the ale like you steal my bread?" Calliope asked in an accusatory voice. Theia gritted her teeth, meeting the female's eyes.

"No. I don't drink," she responded thickly. Calliope just sent her a raised brow and returned to the kitchen. Theia groaned, dropping her head onto the counter. She wanted to see her mother. Maia surely needed to bathe, and possibly just someone to hold her. Theia hadn't done that in years, but she certainly needed comfort.

The door opened and Theia lifted her head from the counter. A camp lord was walking in, his face sculpted by war and clothes fitted nicer than any trainee.

"Four loaves, five pastries," he ground out, drumming thick fingers on the counter. Thea gave a sharp nod and pulled out several paper bags. She eyed the male as she bagged his food.

"I have a question, sir."

His dark eyes met hers in question. Theia pretended to look down at his food in disinterest. "Do you know in which home the High Heir resides?"

The camp lord narrowed his eyes on her, the drumming ceasing. "Why would you need to know that, girl?"

Theia pushed away the urge to respond with attitude and kept her disinterested look. "My mother is staying with him and I wish to visit her. He took her in last night."

"Why would the High Lord's son take your mother into his home? Is she a whore?" The assumption of her mother's trade had Theia's fingers involuntarily curling around the paper bag, crinkling it loudly.

"No, sir. She is ill, he has better access to the right healers than I," she spoke through gritted teeth, meeting his gaze.

"Are you his entertainment, then? I find no reason for your mother to stay with the boy. I can understand why he'd choose you to fuck, but not your ill mother. Don't ask me stupid questions, give me my food."

Theia shoved the bags across the counter and snatched the coin from his hand, turning away to shove it into the money box. She waited until the door closed before she turned to face the windows, left again in the empty shop. Calliope was busy and not interested in conversation- not today, at least.

Theia continued the rest of her shift in silence, not bothering to greet customers or entertain their niceties. When the bakery came to a close, Theia left without word to Calli. She kicked the snow as she walked the street, keeping a watchful eye on passing faces. If she couldn't convince her mother to come home, she at least wanted to visit her.

The tavern was near empty as Theia walked in, shedding her coat and walking behind the bar. Elena was having a lively chat with the one customer, leaving Theia to sulk on the other end. Minutes ticked into an hour before Elena made her way over to Theia. The female didn't want to meet her friend's gaze, but she ached for comfort.

"Theia? Are you alright?"

She shook her head, swallowing the lump in her throat. Her mother had never been the comforting type, nor the mothering type, but she had been the only company Theia had when she wasn't at work. She didn't expect to make it another night without her presence.

"What's going on?" Elena, the glorious female, took it upon herself to wrap her arms around Theia, saving her from having to make the first step.

"My mother was taken in by someone for care. I don't know where they live, but I wish to visit her," Theia mumbled into Elena's shoulder, sighing deeply. Her tears were far spent, all that remained was emptiness.

"Who has her?"

"I don't think I can say," Theia responded, pulling away when the hug felt too long. Elena gave her a sympathetic smile that rolled her stomach.

"I cannot help if I don't know who is with her," Elena pointed out. Her hand brushed back the hair that fell from the leather tie, making chills run down Theia's spine. She took a safe step back and leaned against the counter.

"Do you promise to not speak a word of it?"

"I promise," Elena confirmed, hands raised to prove she did not cross her fingers. The act had Theia's cheeks wish to rise with a smile, but she didn't allow it.

"The heir, Nyx. He followed me home at some point in the past few days and told the High Lady where I live. They came to my home last night and the High Lady took my mother to Nyx's home somewhere around here. I refused to stay in the same home as him, and made them leave. I don't think I can spend another night without my mother around me," Theia explained it all in one breath, chest heaving as she stopped speaking. Elena's eyes widened.

"The heir? Why would he even take your mother home? Why would the High Lady come to your home?" She spoke just as quickly as Theia had.

"Nevermind that, I don't know. Do you know where he lives?" Elena chewed on her lip, contemplating a response. The silent moments ticked by in deafening waves.

"I know of a home that was rumored to house the High Lord when he came to the camp. I don't know if it is where Nyx resides, but it could be an option. Would you like me to walk you there tonight?"

Theia released a heavy breath, nodding frantically. "Yes, please. Thank you so much, Elena."

The female had no time to give a response as a group of trainees pushed through the door. Instead, she shot Theia a quick smile and hurried to serve them.