Once they're all fully dressed, they depart from their apartment – well, it's technically Vader's apartment, located at the very top of 500 Republica, refitted to befit the Emperor – accompanied by many clones.

Clone Force 99 is there, too, and they all stop and stare when they see Omega. Hunter is the one to find his voice first, offering a strangled, freaked out, "wow". But Anakin can relate. Seeing fancy clothing terrifies him. He doesn't know what to do with it.

"It's a bit much," Anakin admits ruefully, shaking his head, "But with this being a public appearance... it was necessary."

"She'll be in the spotlight," Crosshair notes neutrally, even though Anakin can sense that he doesn't like that. Truthfully, that was the only reason he and Vader hesitated to choose Omega.

"Yes," he admits, "And that's why Ahsoka will be accompanying Omega everywhere. And you. She'll need the protection and companionship. It's... lonely to be a leader."

"We'll take care of her," Hunter promises, nodding.

Anakin knows they will.

The gala feels stifling before they even get inside. There's so many people there, and... he hates these things. A hush spreads across the room as they enter. Anakin in the front, Omega and Ahsoka on either side of him, the clones spread out behind him. From across the room, Fives offers him a two-fingered salute, smirking. Echo elbows him.

Anakin takes a moment to pause and assess the room. He sees Padme in the crowd watching him, though she'd obviously been talking to Bail before they showed up – fashionably late, which had been the attention. On the other side of the room, Riyo Chuchi is speaking to Fox, her arm linked through his. Huh. Obi-Wan is here, too; Anakin can feel him, though he's not sure where he is.

And then, thankfully Vader begins to speak, drawing attention away from them.

Lucky him. Because of his life-support, he's wearing his armor as always. But it only makes him stick out more, and Anakin suspects that, even if he hadn't, he'd still choose his armor. It reminds people who's in charge.

They join Vader in the front of the room, Anakin on his right, while Omega and Ahsoka go to his left. "Eyes on the Jedi," Anakin whispers to Crosshair. That's one of the most important parts of this. They've positioned clones all around the room, having them surreptitiously keep their eyes on a list of people who've been marked as potential threats. And all the Jedi present are on that list. They need to see how the Jedi react to Vader's newest declaration to gauge what their views are. A part of Anakin had wondered if the Jedi would even show, but they have, and he's not sure what to make of that.

It could be good... or it could be bad.

Time will tell.

Vader begins by thanking everyone for coming, saying that he appreciates the support as well as the alacrity with which everyone has acted the long, arduous process of cleaning up the corruption within the Senate. "I also wish to share with you," Vader continues, and something tells Anakin that Vader is planning to drop another bombshell on them, "The joyous news that Omega –" here he pauses, gesturing to her, "– has been legally adopted by Anakin. Treat her with the same respect as you would him. Omega Skywalker is your princess, just as Anakin is your prince."

There's a brief, surprised silence, before the cheers break out. Personally, Anakin thinks that the clones are cheering loudest of all; they may have gotten citizenship already, but this is one step further, and he can't even begin to imagine how much it must mean to them to have their only sister become a royal, someone of importance.

"Ahsoka Tano," Vader begins as the applause – and yells of congratulation – die down. Ahsoka stills, visibly caught off guard, but she stills turns to him attentively.

Gates of Hellजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें