𝟏 - 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐚𝐥

I look at the clock sitting high on the wall in front of me. It's been an hour since I dropped my body on the couch. I was waiting for my mother to finish getting ready. She has a tendency of taking too much time to get ready and blaming me or my father for our lateness. Hence why I insisted we woke up at least three hours prior to the rendezvous time. We aren't going to be late, but I am about to drift off to Dreamland. I've been waiting for far too long.

"I'm ready! Let's go!" My mother says as she (finally!) gets out of her bedroom.

All the pampering was unnecessary because I don't recall her being the one about to get proposed to. Because yes. Today is the day I am getting engaged. Normally, I should be jumping from roof to roof right? Except in my case, I didn't choose my groom. Yes. I am a victim of an arranged marriage. Maybe my word choice is a bit much, so let me rephrase. My parents are marrying me to Armani, the youngest of the Nwadike family.

"Luxy! Get in the car, hurry!" My mother yells at me. "Don't make us late! And fix your face. This isn't any ordinary day, you're getting engaged!"

Of course, she had to remind me. I am pretty sure this alliance is bringing more joy to my mother than to me. Gotta give it to her, who wouldn't be excited their daughter is getting married to one of their good friend's well-mannered and educated son?

♡♡♡

When we arrive at the Nwadike residence, I am flabbergasted. After having been here for an uncountable amount of times, the feeling does not leave. It could be mistaken for a real life princess castle.

The house was nestled deep into the forest, surrounded by a concrete gate, separating the manor from the world. The windows were as shy eyes, large to welcome any rays of sunshine. The rock wall was ivory white, with an antique look to it. The matt lighting, making you want to live in the comforting house.

I had always envied Armani and his sister for it. Not that I was not content with my current living space, really, I was. But there was something about this house that made it different. Was it the warm embrace you felt as soon as you stepped in? Maybe.

When we walk inside, we are welcomed by Mrs. Nwadike. She can brighten up the whole world with her smile.

"Look who it is! Oh, my little Glory!" She says, looking at me with a smile plastered on her face, before pulling me into a loving embrace.

Mrs. Nwa is the only person I know who calls me by my first name. Ever since I've known her, she's only called me Glory, claiming I was one destined to glory. Everyone else addresses me by my middle name, Luxury. I've always preferred it. It has such a high meaning to it, along with incredible originality.

"Go settle in the living room with Mr. Nwa, we'll be right behind you," She instructs me, before greeting my parents behind me.

On my way to the living room, I see Armani in the kitchen. I can't deny it, he had to be the most handsome man I have ever laid eyes on. But his attitude drastically brought his attractiveness down. Not that Armani had a bad personality. We just never talked or hung out around each other, so I didn't know much about him. I bring my hand up, to say hi, and he does the same.

I get into the living room where I bow to Mr. Nwa. It is one of the good habits my mother taught me. Always bow before any men above me, such as elders (mostly men), like my soon-to-be father-in-law.

A few minutes later, Mrs. and Mr. D are in the living room, along with my parents, me and Armani. It doesn't take two minutes before they get transported into the cruel world of politics. Talking about presidents, parties, good ideas, wars... No subject goes untouched when those four are in the same room.

While they continue the conversation, I take a quick glance to my right to see Armani reading a looong text. As I look closer at him, I catch a glimpse of worry in his eyes. If only I could comfort him. Of course, I'm not gonna do it, because I'm too shy to talk to him, especially with everyone sitting around us.

When I look up, I see the adults talking, yelling, and laughing while continuing their animated conversation about who knows what. Since I have nothing else to do, I subtly take a look at my palm, on which I wrote the verse of the day earlier.

Jeremiah 29

11 For I know the plans I have for you"  — this is the Lord's declaration — "plans for your well-being, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

I smile at myself because though this verse is known by many, it is not understood by them. It could be broken into many parts; "For I know the plans I have for you". To understand this verse, it's important to remember that God isn't human. He knows our future, and our past better than ourselves. We, as humans, only know the present. When I see me sitting in this house, God sees me a year later, maybe having my own business, because of something that may happen today. Everything God does has a reason to be, and a purpose to achieve. That is the Lord's declaration.

"plans for your well-being, not for disaster,". One thing never to forget is that God doesn't want to harm us. Take, for example, silver. It is extremely valuable. Why? Because it is purified, and goes through the process, seven times. The trials and hardships we go through, are to build our character. To make us stronger. "To give you a future and a hope."

I always feel much better after my daily devotion. I stand by my word, Bible study with friends is the best thing ever. Sadly for me, I have no one to do it with. My friends Myriam and Aya don't really know God or try to live for Him, and same goes for my entire village, including my parents and the Nwadike family. Though it still moves you when it's just you and God.

A soft but sudden shake of my arm brings me back on planet Earth. I open my eyes to see everyone looking at me.

"Were you asleep?" My mother asks, trying to hide the mix of anger and embarrassment on her face.

"Not at all, I was just thinking," I respond with worry and fear invading my brain and body.

"Don't make my little Glory sweat," Mrs. Nwa jokingly reprimands my mother.

Once everyone is silenced, Mr. Nwa starts speaking.

"It is an honor and a pleasure to receive the Nnadi family in our household, and even in the family. Luxury, I know that you will be a good wife and partner for my son. Not only are you brilliant brain-wise, but you are also such a radiant young woman, lighting up any room you walk into." He takes a small break, before continuing. "We are here to begin the journey of our joint families, through Luxury and Armani. I will now let Mr. and Mrs. Nnadi place a word."

My parents look at each other before my father opens his mouth. "Yes, thank you Mr. Nwadike. I speak for my wife and me when I say we could not have found a better husband for our dear daughter, than your own flesh, Armani. We are very excited to see this alliance grow during the rest of our lives, and we can only wish our young couple much love and success."

I want to be mad. I don't know why, but I want to be mad about this. I love the Nwadike family, but I don't know Armani. That's the issue. The only things I know about him are his age, first name, and last name. Way to go Luxy!

Looking around, I catch a mini interaction between father and son Nwadike, before Armani gets up and stands in front of me.

"Dear Luxury, here I stand before you, getting ready to get on my knee," he says, before doing so. "I am here, to ask you if you'd make me the happiest man on Earth, and take me as your husband. I want to be the father of your children, the one you wake up next to, and fall asleep beside. I want to be the one to listen to your voice all day and look at you from the sunrise to the sunset. I want to stand by you through whatever you will go through. I want to be the lucky one to call you 'wife'. So, Glory Luxury Okoye Nnadi, will you marry me?"

If this wasn't arranged, I would be out here ugly crying. Despite knowing he had to say all this, I still have tears threatening to fall.

"Yes. Yes, I will," I accept, battling hard for the tears not to pour out.

The adults start clapping, and it's only then that I see Mrs. Nwa and my mother wiping their own tears away. I smile because, in my heart, there is some happiness and hope. Maybe, just maybe, this won't be the worst thing that will happen to me.