04. just a bruise

Depuis le début

"jesus, give him a break" i mumbled, rolling by eyes at the dixon man. it was already bad enough with merle. thank god he's gone for now.

daryl whipped his head towards me, giving me a glare, "got something to say, walsh"

"yeah, chill out before i send you back to where i found you and your brother out in the woods." i snarled, crossing my arms over my chest.

he only scoffed, looking down to where the walkers head laid. still in contact as it bit the air.

"come on, people. what the hell?" he started, sending an arrow from his crossbow into the head, "it's gotta be the brain. don't y'all know nothing?"

i smirked, finally knowing an easier way to kill them. i'd probably have to know it after all. i wouldn't get away my whole life not killing one.

they all started to walk off except me, chris, and glenn. staring down at the disheveled body that should probably grossed us out but didn't at this point.

"you're going to want to get some popcorn for the merle versus rick show" my brother joked, causing me to chuckle and shake my head.

"yeah, i'm going to have to skip out on that one. i need to get some reading in before anything"

"have fun with that" glenn stated, waving bye to me as i started back up the hill towards my tent.

"see you later alligator"

————

i closed the catcher in the rye, finally finishing it after two days. i've been busy with the run the day before and helping out around the camp or it would've been one.

though this book made me understand the importance of protecting carl's innocence as long as i could. along with amy and chris's since we were all still fairly younger too.

i heard a scratching followed by zipping as someone entered my tent causing me to turn and find chris popping his head in.

"hey, a couple people just left for a run. amy wanted to know if you wanted to go down and do laundry with the rest of the girls"

i smiled at him, standing up from my makeshift bed, "yeah, i'll go down and then return this to dale... who all went on the run?"

chris scratched his scruff, beginning to walk with me towards the main area of camp, "rick, tdog, daryl, and glenn... they couldn't risk many people"

risking people... it always had to be glenn on the end where no one would care if he returned. same with tdog. they both had no family that genuinely needed them to be safe and alive.

it only made me wanna be that person for them and if they come back in one piece. that would be my mission.

i slowly nodded, "hopefully carols prayers work. they all mean a lot to the group...anyway, i'll see you later"

he nodded, parting ways with me as i started down to the quarry. the first thing that caught my eye was my father and carl playing around. i smiled bitterly, happy for the little boy and sad for the buried little girl inside.

"hey, carsyn. come sit" amy called out, noticing my presence as she patted the spot next to her.

i smiled, removing my gaze on them and made my way down to the girls. taking a seat in between amy and carol, "what are you guys talking about?"

"things we miss" andrea answered, handing me some towels, "anything you miss from the normal world?"

"oh yeah, my sanity" i joked, causing them all to chuckle, "... on a real note i would say a cold coke and ice cream"