CHAPTER 18 - PAPER RINGS

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Do you mind if I borrow a blouse from you? I have to be presentable for this one event, but I couldn't find anything to wear."

"What event?"

She inquired, suddenly suspicious.

"Just a visit to a shrine. So do you mind?"

I asked, hoping she wouldn't ask any more questions.

"Obviously not. Wear whatever you want. But what shrine..."

"Thank you so much, Lor. Good bye."

I sprang to my feet and disconnected the call before she could say anything else. Why hadn't I considered it before? Of course, I packed Lor's belongings as well. Our physical proportions were not identical; however, they were better than nothing. I opened the suitcase and found an entire section of the clothing store inside. How did she even manage to fit everything in there? Not that I was going to complain now.

I began to look through the garments and concluded that all of them were too fancy for me. It might have been acceptable for dates or for pricey restaurants, but I don't suppose it's apt for shopping. It was already 7.45 p.m., and I started throwing the clothes around in urgency. I was getting late, and Eugene would be here any minute.

I eventually decided on a maroon wrap top along with high - waisted light blue jeans. The V-neck accentuated my collarbones. It wasn't provocative, but somehow it hugged my silhouette just right. I didn't have an hourglass figure, and I didn't exercise often, but I was comfortable with my body as long as it remained healthy. After all, what's the big deal about having zero size? It is better to maintain a balanced lifestyle than to overburden the body.

I didn't normally replace my earrings since it was too much effort to change seven piercings; therefore, I simply wore studs. I was short on time to put on makeup, so I merely applied moisturizers and a lip gloss. I had my locks pulled into what seemed like a French braid, with a few stray strands cascading on either side of my face. It was nothing special, but it was definitely superior to a sweatshirt.

The calling bell went off at precisely eight in the evening, and I applied some perfume before gathering my wallet and phone.

"Coming."

I called out as I opened the door and locked it behind me. It was a digital door lock, which saved me from the hassle of carrying around keys and losing them. Then I bent down to fiddle with my shoes since I didn't have any sandals. The black and white trainers looked out of place compared to the rest of my outfit, but it's not like I have much choice. Beggars can't be choosers.

Eugene was leaning against the open gate, his neck dipping to stare at his phone.

"I am ready. You look great."

I announced, and he raised his head to look at me. He was wearing a checkered flannel shirt over a white t-shirt, paired with cargo trousers, and he indeed looked great. His hair was combed back, and he smelled of soap.

"You did a good job cleaning up as well. Now, hurry up. I need to be back before ten."

Saying that, he turned around abruptly, not even giving me a second glance. I was disappointed. Even though I didn't spend hours getting ready, can't he see that I put in some effort? Was it too much to give a proper compliment? And what the hell was that? "You did a good job cleaning up?" That's it? Not even 'you look pretty'? I haven't really given much thought to my appearance before, but now I feel like I am unattractive. Wait? Why should I belittle myself because someone did not compliment me on my physical attributes? River, come on. That's not who you are, darling.

I nodded, although he couldn't see me as he had already begun walking ahead. We proceeded to the open-air parking lot, and Eugene pulled out a key before elevating his hand and tapping the button. He motioned towards the lane where we assumed the unlocking sound of a car came from and walked down the rows of automobiles.

"That's our ride for today."

It was an old black Honda Civic that must have definitely seen better days in the past, and the car brought back so many memories.

"Do you want me to switch cars? I am sorry. I wasn't thinking properly."

I turned to him, not comprehending what he was saying, and then realized I was gaping at the car.

"What? No. My father used to have one of these. I suddenly remembered him picking me up from school. They were happy times."

I was reminiscing about the olden days when I suddenly realized I was talking about my family to an outsider. It wasn't something that I did very often. Eugene, on the other hand, was unfazed. He had a friendly smile on his face and shrugged lightly, his attention turning back to the metal body.

"It's a classic, isn't it?"

I was glad he didn't see the brief panic in my eyes. I agreed to his opinion and slid into the passenger seat. Eugene followed suit, igniting the engine after correcting his seat and rear-view mirror. We both fastened our seatbelts and were finally set to go.

I connected the aux to my phone, and we listened to music while we followed the GPS route. The night was bustling, and although we didn't make much small talk, the silence was comforting. I was so comfortable that I started humming along to the song. It was Paper Rings by Taylor Swift, and when the main portion came, both I and Eugene began singing out loud. We both sucked at singing, which made it so hilarious. At one point, Eugene was just making his own lyrics, and I clutched my stomach as I laughed hard. I don't recall ever feeling so carefree with any of my former colleagues. It felt as though I were reliving memories with my family, when we all sang together while going on trips or just car rides. April, unlike me, knew how to sing, but given that I had a squeaky voice, I ruined all of our group songs.

I am convinced April would throw the two of us out if we ever went on a family outing with Eugene. Wait. Why was I thinking of introducing Eugene to my family? I skipped a few lines as my mind reeled around, but I was fast enough to get back on track. I was just overthinking.

After three songs, Eugene pulled over in the parking lot of a shopping mall, and I got out, still having a huge smile on my face.

"I must admit, that was a lot of fun."

Eugene commented while waiting for me to cross the distance between us. I agreed with him wholeheartedly, and we both made our way to the mall together.

..............

Don't forget to vote and comment...