IV : Little Plans

Sunday, 18th August 2019

"Don't worry, I'm sure they'll like you," Scott tried to convince Christine as she fumbled with the hem of her gown.

   His words did nothing to ease her tension. They had been standing on Scott's front porch for way longer than was necessary, because Christine wouldn't budge. Why had she even agreed to this in the first place? Now she had to sit at a proper dining table and try to eat as Scott's parents interrogated and silently judged her.

   Another thing. She had known Scott's family was rich from the expensive car he drove and the off campus apartment he was able to afford, but she clearly had minimised his family's fortune. Their home was literally a mansion, with a driveway that was way too long for a few seconds of walking, well trimmed and attended to shrubbery, and a beautiful fountain in the middle of it all. Despite her anxiety, she made a mental note to not leave without taking some pictures. She couldn't let this beautiful background go to waste.

   She wondered if she had even dressed to expectation. From the expensive attires Scott usually donned, she could only imagine how much his family spent on clothing alone. Way more money than she spent in a year. She had dressed in the most presentable gown she had, which was an off-shoulder flare gown in the colours of summer. She had paired it with simple wedges, and had ditched her rings for a single charm bracelet.

   She inhaled, looked at Scott, forced a smile and said, "Let's do this."

   However, before Scott could move, the door was opened by a plump maid in a blue uniform and a wide smile on her face.

   "Scottie!" She loudly exclaimed before grabbing him a hug. "It's so good to see you again. You hardly come around, even when the semester ends. I was so happy when your parents said we were to expect you." She turned her attention to Christine. "You must be Christine." Much to Christine's surprise, she hugged her as well. "Thank you for making Scott happy."

   Christine could only smile at her with a nod of her head.

   "Christine, this is our head maid and my personal favourite, Rosamund. She's been around since I was born. She's a second mom to me." Scott introduced.

   "Hi," Christine offered in greeting.

   "Come on in." Rosamund took Christine's hand in hers and walked in with her, Scott trailing them. "I hope I get a chance to talk with you after lunch. There's so much I want to know from you. I don't trust Scott enough." She said this last part in a loud whisper, and Scott grunted.

   "That would be nice," Christine said. She already liked Rosamund. She was warm and friendly. She hoped Scott's parents would be too.

   Rosamund led them into the dining room, where a man and woman who Christine could guess were Scott's parents were already seated opposite each other. They stood up as they walked in.

   Scott's mum was the first to walk up to them. "Thank you Rosamund," she said and dismissed her. She then turned to Christine. Christine's heart fell to the pit of her stomach and she gulped. But when his mother smiled, she began to feel at ease. "Christine." And she hugged her.

   Standing in his mother's embrace, Christine looked over at Scott and saw him encouraging her with a smile.

   "I've heard so much about you," she said when the hug ended. "Thank you for giving our son the perfect excuse to come visit. I know he won't admit it, but he misses us too." She and Christine laughed to this.

   "Likewise," Christine said.

   She walked to her son, as her husband walked to Christine. He hugged her too, but it was much lighter. It was just like a father to do that.