Vol. 3 Ch. 23 Not Adding Up

Your POV

After the incident between Yang and Mercury happened, I waited in the hallway outside Team RWBY's dorm. As Ruby, Blake, and Weiss left their dorm, I heard Jaune ask, "She doing okay?" Blake replied and said, "She's doing the best she can." Ruby said, "I heard Mercury and his team rushed back to Haven to be with his family. So, until they land, no one can really question him about what happened." Then Ren said, "If there's anything we can do, please don't hesitate to ask."

Ruby looked down for a second before she said, "All right then. If that's the case... Pyrrha?" The red-haired Spartan looked up and said, "Hm?" Ruby held her clenched hands up as she tried to put on a grin and said, "You be sure to win one for Beacon, okay?" Weiss nodded as she and Blake also smiled sadly, and said, "It's what Yang would want." Pyrrha said, "I'll... do my best." Ruby said excitedly, "I'll be sure to watch tonight in case you're picked!"

Pyrrha's smile dipped down into worry as she looked away. Blake said, "Sorry but, I think I've had enough fighting for one year." Weiss nodded once and said, "Ditto. Coffee?" Blake replied, smiling, "Tea." I frowned and said, "Something's not adding up for me. So I'm going to head back to Amity Colosseum with Ruby. I feel like I'm missing something that staring me right in the face." Weiss nodded hesitantly and said, "Just be careful." I gave her a cocky grin and said, "No promises."

Time Skip
(Brought to you by Chibi K-9 chasing Chibi Cinder)

Ruby and I walked up to the end of the line waiting to get in the transport up to the arena. I looked around and saw a familiar rabbit Faunus snapping photos of Sun. Ruby and I stepped out of line and approached her from behind as she continues taking pictures with her camera until she notices who's behind her. Velvet turned around and said, "Ruby! Nightingale! How you doing?"

I smiled and said, "Hello, Velvet! What're you up to?" Velvet rolled her eyes happily and said, "Oh, you know. Just working on my photography. Do you wanna see?" She offers her camera to us, looking extremely delighted. Ruby and I immediately noticed that Velvet didn't even get all of Sun in her picture, cutting out his head and feet. Ruby said, "That's... better." We stepped away as we grinned in forced approval.

Velvet looked at Ruby and said, "I'm... sorry about your sister. Is she doing okay?" Ruby looked away and replied, "Yeah, she's fine, heh. Thanks." As Velvet put her camera away, she said, "I think it's just awful what people are saying about her. Yang's such a nice person." Ruby laughed a little as she rubbed the back of her head and said, "Well, I'm glad someone thinks so."

Velvet shook her head, crossed her arms, and said, "Most people don't know what it's like on the battlefield. I mean, even experienced fighters can get scared and start seeing things. If it happened to Coco, it can happen to anyone."

I stared at Velvet in confusion and said, "What happened to Coco?" Velvet replied, "Yeah. She swore she saw Yatsu with her in the forest during the fight with Emerald and Mercury, but he never even made it out of the geyser fields. Stress-induced hallucinations, apparently." Ruby said, "Yeah..."

Ruby and I shared a quick glance, as if we were wondering the same thing. We looked back at Velvet after a quick flash startled us. Velvet lowered the camera from her face, smiling apologetically as she said, "Oh! Sorry."

Once we were back in the stands of Amity Colosseum, Ruby and I sat down in a pair of empty seats. I looked around at the assembled crowds and something caught my eye. I did a double-take and said, "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a stick."

Ruby looked at me confused and said, "What is it?" I point to where Emerald was and Ruby spotted her as well. As if sensing that she was being watched, Emerald leaned forward to glare at both Ruby and I. Ruby suddenly got up with a worried expression and ran towards the exit tunnel, so I got up and followed her.

Checking to see if no one's around, we both entered a door labeled with a yellow maintenance sign and I used my Sonic Screwdriver to open the door as we then found ourselves inside of the Colosseum. We walked forward with determination as the announcers' voices could still be heard, muffled behind the brick walls.

I could also hear the sound of the roulette faintly, but what made Ruby and I both stop in our tracks was the sight of another unexpected "friend" stepping out from a nearby tunnel, completely unharmed and definitely not going home. I got angry and said, "Mercury?" Then I heard as Port said, "It looks like our first contender is... Penny Polendina from Atlas..." Ruby spoke up and asked Mercury, "What are you doing?" Then Port said, "And her opponent will be... Pyrrha Nikos from Beacon!" Then Ruby said, "No..." Mercury put a hand to his chin and said, "Ooh, polarity versus metal. That could be bad."

Ruby and I glared at our new opponent, she reached back to grab Crescent Rose, only to remember she didn't have it on her. I already knew that a Sonic Screwdriver probably wouldn't be very useful in this situation. Mercury simply grinned maliciously and set himself up in a fighting pose.

Then Ruby and I did the same and got into our own stance as Ruby said, "Mercury, what are you doing? You were hurt! Why..." She narrowed her eyes in suspicion and added, "What's going on?" Mercury didn't answer, still grinning with malice as I spoke up and said, "Fine. If you're not going to tell us..."

Ruby attempted to move around him, but he blocked her path, then did it again when she sidestepped. Oobleck could be heard over the announcement system as he said, "Fighters, are you ready?" Mercury smirked and said, "Showtime."

He went forward, blocking Ruby's path with his arms outstretched, restraining her movements no matter where she moved. Panicked, she grimaced and spun forward, becoming a blur of red and petals rocketing towards Mercury, only for the villain to kick her twice mid-dash and knock her to the ground. He advanced on her just as she got out her Scroll, about to push the button to call for help when a bullet sent the device flying out of her hand.

Mercury lowered his leg from its kick and said, "Let's just keep this between us friends." He moved towards Ruby, but I ran at him and punched him in the face. He stumbled back and turned towards me as I smiled and let out a small chuckle, now realizing that I actually did have an advantage in this fight after all.

He looked at me and said, "What's so funny, Time Lord?" Despite him revealing that he somehow knew what I was, I gave him an even more cocky grin and said, "You know what one of the advantages of having a Sonic Screwdriver is?" He gave me a blank and unsure look as he replied, "No. But why should I care?"

I aimed my Sonic at his legs and said, "Quite simple. It means that I can do this!" I then used the Sonic Screwdriver to lock up the mechanisms in his metal legs, causing him to fall down. I turned to Ruby and said, "What are you waiting for? Go!"

She nodded and ran past Mercury as I kicked him in the stomach, causing him to fly back a couple feet. Then I threw an uppercut, sending him back into the far wall in a daze. I took my chance and ran off in the direction that Ruby had gone.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter.
Master out.