38. LESS OF A COINCIDENCE

Start from the beginning

Jimin observes his boyfriend uneasily. More than anything, Jeongguk looks annoyed. It feels like so long ago that they've said their goodbyes when, in reality, it's been less than a month.

"They've done all the questioning they need from me. When can head out. They said they'd give me a call with any updates."

Jimin nods his head, glancing at Taehyung briefly, who shares a sympathetic look. "Okay. Is there anywhere you wanna go in particular?" he asks.

Jeongguk remains quiet for a moment. "Honestly, I don't know. I feel like I just need to be alone for a second so I can try to sort through all of my thoughts."

It stings hearing those words. Because if there's one thing Jimin wants most in the world, it's to be there for his lover through thick and thin. But it isn't possible for him to fix everything and he has to remind himself that.

"Okay, that's okay." Jimin reaches out, placing his hand over top of Jeongguk's thigh reassuringly. "Just remember that I'm only a phone call and text away. Taehyung and I are gonna head out."

The air is still. Jimin's lips curve into a fine pout at the lack of response. He reaches both hands into the air, cradling Jeongguk's face. He rotates the man's head until they're looking each other in the eyes.

"We're so close to the end. Just remember that, okay?" Jimin places a kiss against Jeongguk's forehead.

Finally, Jeongguk smiles. "Thank you. For everything. I'll call you with any updates, alright?"

"Of course." Jimin smiles.

They hug each other tightly before Jimin leaves the police station with Taehyung. It's gotten darker since they've been called to the station. The stars aren't out quite yet but there's a handful speckled across the skyline.

They climb into Taehyung's car. Jimin buckles himself up and takes a moment to let everything sink in. His body molds into the passenger seat as his eyes strain on the moon. He can feel his friend's eyes on him.

"What now?" he asks.

Silence.

"Honestly, Tae, I have absolutely no idea. I'm insanely worried about Jeongguk Hyung but I know he's strong. I just hope that all of this ends soon. He's been through the ringer ever since I got involved in his life," Jimin sighs.

"Don't say that," Taehyung responds. "You can't put the blame on yourself if you wanted Jeongguk Hyung just as much as he wanted you. Yeah, it was risky considering his reputation, but that didn't stop you. It didn't stop him, either."

Jimin nibbles on the inside of his mouth while staring at his lap. Taehyung is right but for some reason, the guilt is eating away at him.

"I just wish things could have been easier. But I guess my life has always been a little complicated," Jimin says.

Taehyung frowns. "Let's head back to my place and watch and movie. Hoseok doesn't live there anymore. Namjoon Hyung is waiting."

Suddenly, Jimin smiles. "You guys are cute."

Taehyung blushes. "I don't really know what we are right now. Don't say anything weird when we get there."

Jimin lifts his hand in the air. "I won't say anything. You don't have to put a label on it. A movie sounds great. I could use a distraction."

"Alright!" Taehyung exclaims with excitement. "Movie night it is. Let's stop at a gas station and grab some snacks."

"Let's do it," Jimin agrees happily, looking outside.

The drive through the city is quite calming. The streets aren't busy and the roads are still lit up as the sun continues to set.

It's been a while since he's been able to relax like this. He still feels a twinge of guilt at the fact that Jeongguk is alone. But he tries to regulate his feelings and find understanding within himself.

Jimin finally surfaces to reality the second his arm is nudged by Taehyung. He looks over at his friend and notices the worried look on his face but brushes it off with a smile. They head into the gas station and wander aimlessly while searching for snacks.

Jimin gravitates toward the chocolate section, searching his options thoroughly and indecisively. His mind wanders to a similar moment in the past he shared with Jeongguk when both of them were newly seeing each other.

Things were so complicated back then, but compared to now, so simple.

"Min, did you find what you want?" Taehyung asks while turning into the aisle.

Jimin looks up and a chuckle slips out. "Do you need a hand carrying something?"

"No, I've got it!" Taehyung exclaims excitedly.

His smile is genuine and pure. Jimin grabs a few chocolate bars and snags a bag of chips off of the shelf while they begin to make their way up to the front of the gas station.

Before they can make it up to the front, the welcoming bell hanging above the door goes off. Jimin and Taehyung come to a standstill.

A man wanders into the store with a ski mask drawn over his head. He has a metal bat in one of his hands and a small bag in the other.

Jimin's adrenaline kicks in immediately. He grips Taehyung by his hoodie sleeve and pulls him to the ground. They huddle behind one of the aisles, snug right up against each other.

"Give me your money. All of it!"

The urgency in the man's voice has Jimin flinching. He peers over at Taehyung who has his phone pulled out. He notices Namjoon's contact name and how his friend's thumbs move uncoordinatedly over the keyboard in a desperate longing for help.

Suddenly, the sound of glass shattering echoes throughout the gas station. Jimin glances at the screen Taehyung is showing him, feeling a rush of relief knowing that Namjoon is on his way.

"Who else is in here? You got someone else in here? And don't lie to me, I see the truck outside!" The assailant shouts.

"That's my truck. There's nobody else in here but myself. Please, I gave you everything I have. I'm going to call the police," the man states.

Silence. Jimin can hear his heart hammering in his chest. He swears he can see a faint reflection of the man through the freezer doors searching lazily through a few of the aisles.

But he doesn't stay much longer. He takes off with his bag of money and Jimin watches him climb into a getaway car as it stops for him and disappears down the street.

Both him and Taehyung release strangled breaths. Jimin can hardly keep himself propped up against the shelves. His bones feel like jelly.

"He's here," Taehyung says quietly through the fear that dissipates slowly.

Jimin nods his head. Their snacks are now puddled on the ground but that's the least of their worries. They stand fully and Taehyung falls into Namjoon's arms the second he's in the gas station.

He pulls out his phone, thumb hovering over top of Jeongguk's contact. It takes everything in him not to send a text or make a call. He already has so much to deal with; Jimin doesn't want to add anything else to his plate.

But lately everything begins to feel like less of a coincidence.