31. EVERY MINUTE

When Jimin opens his eyes, there's a slight pain in his head but it definitely hurts less than yesterday. He looks up at Jeongguk - at his pouty lips - and softens into a smile. Such a sight is helpful in forgetting the absolute chaos that they have found themselves in. Jimin places a kiss against his cheeks and weaves his way out from between his arms slowly until his legs are tossed over the bed.

Carefully, Jimin ambles toward the closed window. He pushes the curtains to the side and his gaze first surrenders itself to the stunning sunrise clinging to the tall buildings of the city. The feeling of warmth embraces the preexisting serenity on his face but it's very quickly erased at the sight of bedlam just outside.

Last night's fight at Haeso's house replays in Jimin's head and a small sigh escapes him. Things turned sideways so quickly, he didn't even have time to blink.

This doesn't seem like something that will just blow over in due time but he really hopes that it does.

"Min?" Calls out a raspy voice and the blond in question looks over his shoulder at Jeongguk.

The man is rubbing at his eyes lazily and as he sits up slowly, the blanket once covering his upper half and into his lap. Jimin feels melancholic at the sight because a lot of couples can wake up like this with nothing to worry about. It's normal - acceptable.

But in their case, it's the exact opposite. It feels as though the world is again them and yes, there are some supporters out there. But in comparison to the people who feel utterly disgusted and blindsided beyond belief, there is far less. Which isn't fair.

"Why are you up so early?" Jeongguk questions and with each slight jerk, his brown, tousled hair bounces.

"Just a headache," he replies, staring at his feet.

Without fail, Jeongguk is in front of him within seconds, donned in a pair of simple light-colored joggers. He reaches out to brush his fingers against Jimin's bare hip while searching his eyes.

"Since last night?" His fingers move up and down Jimin's bicep in a gentle caress.

Jimin nods his head. "I can't stop thinking and I barely got any sleep last night. What are we gonna do to make things right?"

"Hey, listen." Jeongguk reaches up to hold Jimin's face between his hands. "Leave it to me, okay? I don't want you to stress out over things that you can't fix. It's my problem. It's my family. And it's my family business―"

"But I impacted it." Jimin lowers himself onto the windowsill and Jeongguk sneaks in between his legs, combing slender fingers through his hair.

"Jimin." Jeongguk's voice is stern. He grips the blond by his chin, ensuring that their gazes are aligned. "Believe me when I say that it was bound to happen. Of course this isn't what either of us had planned and it's shitty but what's done is done. The only thing that we can do is move forward, there's no point in dwelling on it." He leans in, pushing Jimin's hair back to leave a kiss on his forehead.

Jimin's lips form a pout. But he nods his head nonetheless, trying to give space for Jeongguk's words to sink in. He's right when he says that it's family business but of course he's still going to feel responsible for the damage that's been done. He'd be crazy not to.

There's a knock at the front door and Jimin flinches. His fingers instinctively wrap around Jeongguk's as the man looks over his shoulder at the open doorway of the bedroom.

"Wait here," Jeongguk tells Jimin and he does as he's told to, waiting by the window.

Sitting in the silence makes Jimin anxious. He can hear chatter coming from another room but it's very quiet. He rolls one of Jeongguk's sleeveless shirts over his body before leaving the bedroom cautiously. His head peaks around the corner and Taehyung and Namjoon are standing in the entryway.

"It's still crazy out there but it's died down over night. I think you should lay low for a little bit until you're ready to make some kind of statement. If you want to, that is," Namjoon suggests, loosening the tie around his neck. "Your father's team has already posted an apology―"

"An apology?" Jeongguk interjects, his hands placed on his hips. "What exactly was he apologizing for?"

Namjoon sighs, running one of his hands over his face. Thick eyebrows coming to a soft furrow, his white teeth close around his thick bottom lip to release it slowly. "He was apologizing on your behalf. Talked about how it's just a phase ― how Jimin was just a temporary side piece to help de-stress."

Jimin doesn't allow his presence to be known, feeling smaller at the mere thought of being a temporary side piece.

"He's fucking delusional. He can slander me all he'd like but the second he mentions Jimin, that's my limit. I'm calling him―"

There isn't much Jimin can do besides freeze in place when Jeongguk turns around and notices that he's there. With tears in his eyes and a sadness he wished he'd never have to see ever again.

"Min," Jeongguk's breath hitches. His steps become softer in his approach and suddenly, everything about him is gentle. He's standing in front of Jimin, cradling his face within his hands. "None of it is true, do you understand me? Those are his words, not mine. Absolutely no part of you is temporary. I'm going to call him and set things straight."

"He isn't answering any phone calls, currently," Namjoon chimes in with a hesitant Taehyung standing next to him. "There's way too much traffic between media and people hounding him either at the business or outside of his house that he's closed himself off entirely after the statement dropped."

Jeongguk sighs, keeping his eyes on Jimin. "I guess I'll just have to make a statement of my own then, won't I? I've always been good at fighting fire with fire. My flames tend to burn more."

"Are you sure?" Jimin's blurts out. "I don't want the situation to get any worse. Don't risk the life you had because of me."

"You are my life. My present and my future. Nothing you can say will make me change my mind," Jeongguk replies, leaning in to place a kiss on the blond's forehead. "You understand?"

Timid, Jimin nods his head. Jeongguk steps awhile and pulls Namjoon to the side, into another room. Most likely to continue their discussion about the statement.

Taehyung looks over and Jimin meets his eyes, feeling warmth in the comfort of his best friend's gaze. The latter wanders into the living room, throwing a blanket over his bare legs once he sits down.

"I'm sorry," Taehyung says, sitting down next to Jimin.

He knows what his best friend is talking about. The fight they had at the club feels so long ago. "It's okay―"

"It isn't. I didn't know that he was Jeongguk's brother. I said some things that I shouldn't have said."

Jimin smiles. "We all say things we shouldn't say. I understand why you acted the way you did, considering how I used to be. I was just trying to protect you. You deserve someone who can be there to protect you when you can't protect yourself. Someone you're sure of."

Just then, Taehyung eyes move and Jimin looks over his shoulder, noticing Namjoon's figure visible throw the partly opened door. He smiles, placing his hand on Taehyung's knee.

"I had a feeling."

"What?" Taehyung snaps his eyes over to Jimin, eyes widened unnaturally.

"Namjoon Hyung," Jimin says. "You guys have had something odd but special since the beginning. I was always slightly aware of it but never fully to expect something."

"Well don't." Taehyung frowns. "I don't think he's interested in anything other than his job right now. And he's probably gonna forget about ever dating anytjme soon, especially with a guy considering all that's going on right now. It would be incredibly stupid―"

Jimin raises his hand "Okay, okay. Of course, there's a lot going on right now. There's a lot on the line. But I want you to be happy so don't completely drop the idea, alright?"

Taehyung releases a breath, nodding his head.

Right now, it's only possible for things to get worse before they get better. There's no telling what could happen at any minute but that just means that Jimin needs to be prepared.

For every minute.