Episode 8

The next few days, I did what Daryl told me and made, who knows how many arrows and practiced with the bow even made a quiver to hold them, and that was with the help of Carol. In my free time, I worked on some chores like cooking and doing laundry. With all that going on, I never really had time to think of myself and get food or the proper sleep I needed. I even had to be scolded by Carol for not paying attention to my needs to be healthy. 

    “I’m good, I swear” I told her, but she crossed her arms 

    “I almost never see your bed messed up and I know you're not sleeping here" she noted to me and I looked at her smiling lightly "Daryl?...tell her to go up to the house and get something to eat” Carol said, turning to him as he sat next to the fire. 

    “Go get somethin to eat '' He grumbled, not looking up. I scoffed and rolled my eyes at him. We weren't fully back to how we were before my adventure through the woods. Then again, he was just different from everyone. More distant, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't worry me, but I didn't push or ask him about it. Or rather about how he was doing with the death of Sophia. I knew that had to be part of it. I set the bow down and headed toward the house with one last look to Daryl then looked to Carol and gave her a gentle smile and she returned it showing her thanks for not putting up too much of a fight. I walked up to the house and walked inside to find Maggie and Lori making food for Beth. 

    “Morning” I smiled at them and Lori gave me a smile while she was cutting up some cooked chicken and I looked to Maggie to see she was forcing the smile as she glanced at me “I came to get some food...am I bothering you two?” I asked, worried I had walked into something 

    “No your fine” Maggie shook her head but kept looking down as they prepared the dish. “Lori?...did Rick say anything to you about Glenn when they got back from town?” Maggied turned to Lori as I just stood there. I still felt awkward about being in a house that wasn’t mine

    “Just that it had gotten pretty bad” Lori answered as I stood there and then Lori walked over and grabbed a second plate and grabbed some more chicken and plated it and held it out for me “I’m glad to see you finally came up for some air” Lori teased and I rolled my eyes 

    “Hey I already got lectured by Carol” I smiled lightly. Even if it was a lot of work, I actually felt pretty happy and proud of everything I was doing to help the group. I hadn’t had any complaints from anyone yet.

    “He’s not the same” Maggie said, and we both looked at her as I started to eat my food without needing any fork or knife. “Says he froze. Blames me. says I got inside his head” Maggie said, speaking to Lori 

    “He came back. that’s what matters” Lori said certain of her words 

    “Don’t worry Maggie he’ll come around...it’s just new for him” I explained because that’s what he told Rick and me when we headed into town.

    “Men have to do certain things you know that- and they’re either gonna blame the little woman as the reason they do ‘em or the reason they don’t...I’ll tell you something- what happens out there happens out there and we...we’re just trying to keep it together till they get back” 

    “Things were good. Maybe I-”

    “Glenns a big boy… he makes his own choices," Lori cut Maggie off,"and then you - do you have anything to apologize for?” Lori asked her. I stood there holding my food and chewing what was in my mouth as I watched Maggie think for only a second before she shook her head no. Lori shrugged, knowing her point was proven “Tell him to man up and pull himself together”