004. payback's a bitch

chapter four payback's a bitch

chapter four
payback's a bitch

An ambulance sped past the girl followed by two police cars

An ambulance sped past the girl followed by two police cars. Madelyn froze, watching the ambulance turn down the road, down a road that she knew so well, down the road she was supposed to be on. Madelyn shook her head frantically before she began walking quickly in that direction. She didn't know why she felt the need to follow it, but she knew that it couldn't be good. Madelyn practically ran down the street towards the house she knew all too well.

Madelyn approached the house, seeing the police already there and looking at the scene, having the house taped off. Madelyn walked closer seeing two officers covering the Sheriff with tarp, signalling she was dead.

"No, no, no." Madelyn's eyes watered, rushing forward and under the tape.

"Miss, you cant be here. You can't be here." Deputy Farney stopped her. "Madelyn, you can't be here."

"No, I know her, I know her son, Wes... Farney." Madelyn breathing got quicker.

"I'm sorry." He told her.

Madelyn caught sight of her father in her peripheral vision. Madelyn pushed past the Deputy making her way over to the person. "Dad?"

"Mads. I'm so—" Dewey was cut off by his daughter wrapping her arms around him, letting out a sob. She hugged him tightly, him returning the hug as she whispered a series of no's under her breath.

"Maddie." Madelyn spun around to see Nick. She fell into his arms next, her dad sending Nick a grateful look as he went back to speaking to the Deputy. She looked up at him in shock, opening her mouth to speak but he nodded. "I know, sunshine."

She hugged him tightly, tears falling down her cheek before she pulled away, looking up at him in confusion. "Wait, Nick, what are you—"

"I saw the ambulances and followed them—wait do you think I did this?" Nick asked, slightly hurt but understanding fully.

"I don't know anything anymore." She told him.

"I know, but you have to believe me, Maddie, I didn't do it." Nick told her sincerely. "Woah, is that your mum."