5. laugh

We returned to brights office, the papers still strewn about the floor. I sighed internally and walked over to pick them up. Bright watched me from the door, seemingly lost in thought. I continued my work. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him pull out a cell phone.

I glanced over to make sure he wasn't recording me or anything creepy but he just looked like he was reading something. I ignored it and got back to sorting.

Bright's POV

I texted gears. "what do I do? This feels so unusual."

"What do you mean?" Gears replied.

"This lady is just in my room, sorting my papers and not... Afraid of me?"

"Is that a bad thing?" Gears asked.

"No?"

"Then don't worry about it."

i leaned back in my seat and sighed. he's right, this isn't a bad thing its just... unusual... on well. i look down at y/n. shes very focused on the papers. this must be boring. it needs done though so... i stand up and walk over to her, sitting down and picking up a stack. she hands me a folder and we proceed to file away all the papers. it took around two whole hours. when she had set the last file on the shelf she stepped back to admired her work. i admired it too. 

my office had never looked this clean. i smiled, "welp, looks like there's nothing here to do, lets go bother people." she turned her head and gave me a puzzled look. we had about an hour before we had to retire to our rooms so i turned and strided out of the door. she followed me to gears room first. i stopped her before we entered and peaked inside, seeing only gears in there, working on paperwork.

i then opened the door fully and strided in, "HEY THERE BUDDY!" i said loudly. he covered his ears "dammit bright, is there anyone else you could cause suffering to today?" he said, monotone. "nope. none that would be so fun." i replied.

he looked at my assistant, "oh lord, don't tell me your training her to be like you." i smiled, "nah, no one could match me" he rolled his eyes and went back to his work. i sighed and leaned on his desk, "any interesting mishaps with the old machine?" 

he shook his head, "nothing out of the ordinary, if you count a pair of scissors that have blades extending in every direction possible, including multidimensional." 

I rolled my eyes, "bor-ing!" I looked back at y/n, who had a bewildered expression.  "Every direction possible?" She questioned. Gears looked up and studied her, "yes, it happens, multidimensions are quite common with the machine." He responded. "What machine?" Y/n asked. Oh God here we go.

Gears perked up and with as much enthusiasm as the soulless bastard could muster proceed to explain everything about his pet project. I noticed the interst she took. The look of fascination in her eyes. She had shuch a craving for knowledge, it was extravagant. It truly makes sense why they chose her.

Gears apparently made a joke, not that I was paying much if not any attention to him, but it made her laugh. I've... Never heard her laugh... It... Was so nice. An odd feeling squeeze my stomach knowing gears brought that out of her. Wait... How the hell did that boring bastard make a joke at all, let alone get shuch an angelic laugh out of her!?

"What did you say?" I shot at gears with just slightly too much ferocity. "I only told her about the ice cream incident, you know the one, with the cone that never melted and how someone nearly died trying to eat it." Gears deadpanned, "why she's laughing however, is beyond me."

I turned to y/n, she caught her breath enough to say, "what kind of idiot nearly dies eating fucking ice cream!?" She cackled with a dark cynicism that reminded me much of myself. I smiled brightly, "right!?" I chuckled along.

She gave me a smile and it felt like Kondraki's swarm erupted in my stomach. I suddenly felt light headed. I glanced over to gears. His eyebrow was raised slightly. I'll text him later about this. I looked at the swinging clock on the wall, we had just a few minutes till curfew.

"Welp!" I exclaimed, "better head to our rooms, feeling preetyyy sleepy!" I mocked yawned. Gears furrowed his brow, "coming from the man who nearly got terminated finding nearly 48 ways to slip past curfew?"

I frowned at him and cleared my throat, "I'm. Sleepy." I firmly stated. Y/n smiled at me none the wiser and gears shrugged. "Goodnight then" he simply stated before looking back down at his papers. I walked out a million thoughts racing through my mind.

Down the hall I walked thinking to myself about y/n, about gears, about this job. I wonder why only now they are giving me some random person to babysit me. Not like any previous babysitters worked.

They all ended up very dead. I hope she doesn't. Her smile is too nice. She can laugh at the most Macomb of things. Maybe she'll even understand my condition. What I am. Why would it matter if she didn't. She still has a job to do. She's still here...

...

Wait. I pause and turn around. Y/n is lightly jogging after me. She's painting slightly. I completely forgot she was following me. We where at my quarter's door. I looked at my door and looked back at her contemplating leaving her out here in favor of peace and quiet. If it was anyone else, I might have.

But I sigh and make up an excuse as to why we're here. "This is my room, if you ever need anything come here... Ummm. Here." I mess with the key scanner and open it, slipping in and grabbing a spare key card for my room and handing it to her.

She holds it gently in her hand. "Don't fucking loose that." I sternly warn, she nods eagerly. I sigh and with great reluctance, lead her back to her quarters. The walk is silent and we make it there rather quickly.

She looks exhausted. She must not be used to all the walking and I don't really blame her, all those years ago I wasn't quite used to the walking either. I cringe slightly recalling those days.

I stand there at her door staring blankly. She shifts uncomfortabley. She clears her throat and says, "well, I guess I better get to bed... Goodnight sir." She says. I shake my head fervently, "Bright, please... Or just jack... Well either way, they're both better than formalities. " I insist. She nods and bids me a good night. I nod back as she slips into her room.

I take one last deep breath and turn to head back to my room.