Net

I turned to see Fort sleeping away. I moved in closer to him and just wrapped my hands around him, feeling his body against mine. But my eyes automatically hardened when I saw the marks on his arms and shoulder.

I knew it wasn't my business and if Fort didn't want to share, I couldn't force him but I couldn't help but feel angry that he was being punished for something that he couldn't control and that he had no one to stick up for him. I refused to want to let this continue but I also knew that Fort was too proud to confide in me.

I sighed as I touched his marks again. Fort woke up when he felt me touching him and he looked at me.

"What time is it?"

"Time to definitely eat."

"Oowh, I need a break. I can't even feel my legs."

"Idiot. I meant the curry. Its almost 8pm. Come on, let's shower and I fix you a plate. But we have to shower together. Fair?"

Fort laughed and nodded. I cannot say shower was a quiet hands free affair but we got out of it soon enough. I fixed us dinner and as we sat down to eat; conversation flowed easily between us. Fort and I had so much to chat about which made it easy to be around him.

Just as we were reaching the end of dinner, his mom called. He looked at the phone and was contemplating answering it when I put my hand on his. He looked at me.

"Can you stay for the night?

"I don't want to impose..."

"You aren't imposing Fort. I am the one asking you to stay. Please." I interrupted him before he could refuse me completely.

Fort looked at me for a bit before nodding. I smiled as we got up to keep the dishes away. His mom called again but this time I grabbed his phone and placed it on top of the refrigerator.

"You don't need to answer that. Just for tonight."

"Boss told you huh?"

"Briefly. But I leave it to you."

Fort didn't say anything but just hugged me from the back as I washed the dishes. Once I was done, we hung out to watch TV where Fort finally spoke about the years of abuse he has been through. My heart just lurched hearing it and I gripped my hands tightly, wanting to get a hand on that asshole who has been hitting Fort all these while. 

"What kind of mother fucking asshole is he?"

Fort jsut smiled bitterly.

"Why don't you stay somewhere else?"

"I only stay there because of my father. Or else I wouldn't. But my dad is a nice man and he doesn't know what has been happening. He's often away and is in the dark and I want to keep it that way."

"Fort..."

"I'm used to it. Don't worry. Thanks anyways for being such a nice person. Didn't expect this from you. Guess I can see why you are friends with Boss."

I didn't say anything as Fort's attention drifted back to the TV. I just watched him, my thoughts solely on what he had shared. He really went through a lot but yet never even showed anything, just diffusing everything with that cheeky dimpled smile of his.