"You look dapper," she teases, the familiar glint in her eyes shining down at me.

"As do you, madame," I joke along as I tug her in the direction of the church. "Come on, my parents are waiting inside."

Scarlette lets me pull her along, her hand never loosening in mine. It's silent between us until we reach the open doors of the church. We're about to enter when she leans down to whisper to me.

"You really do look handsome, sweetheart," she says so softly, it makes me question if she even said it in the first place.

I glance up at her, a pink shade coloring my cheeks all the way to the tips of my ears. "Thank you, Scar. You look beautiful."

She hums and that's when we fully enter my family's church. Not that we own the entire thing, we've just been going here for as long as I can remember.

My parents are standing when they see us hand in hand. Mom's the first to wave at Scarlette, who returns the gesture with a soft smile. Dad does his usual dad nod, but it's accompanied with a smile. I start to head over when Scarlette slightly pulls me back.

"Okay if I sit back here? I don't think being in the front is best. Saying amen is probably the only thing I know how to do."

"Sure," I say, "you don't have to explain to my parents."

Scarlette nods, her wavering smile returning. I give her a comforting smile before kissing her hand, and joining my parents. They sit me between them, and services start.

The pastor looks across the first row, smiling when his eyes drift past me. It's a proud smile. Almost as if he knows the uplift of my life lately. I return it, a light feeling flowing through me instead of the heavy one I felt when with my parents in a church. The pastor then greets everyone, and I look back to make sure Scarlette's comfortable and okay. I find her golden eyes in no time, the beauty of them already staring back at me.

I'm sent a reassuring smile, and it only makes me wish that I stayed with her. I'm used to sitting with my parents during services, and it seemed like Scarlette was okay sitting on her own for an hour or two. I'm glad I asked her to come for a shorter service. She's mentioned to me once or twice how her family is religious, but not her. Well, not as much as her family.

We hold eye contact for another minute. I struggle to look away from her; everything about her forever capturing me in a state of euphoria. It's only when she motions for me to turn around, that I give her a sheepish smile before listening.

"Try to pay attention to the service, Nolan," my mom leans over, whispering to me.

I nod, my eyes forward on the pastor. I know my mom's not being rude. Church is important to the both of them. It's important to me too. Still, I find myself glancing back at times when we sing a few songs, and read some scriptures. All times, Scarlette is there, her eyes already on me.

It's the fifth time that I look back, that I don't see her amazing smile and god-made eyes. I survey the church, but she's not anywhere in the templed building. My smile falters a little, and I try not to think too much of it. There's only twenty minutes left for this service. I'll see her then.

"Everything okay, Nolan?" dad looks to me, concern shown on his face.

"Yeah," I answer, "I just haven't felt so lifted in a church in so long."

"That's good to hear, son," he claps me on the back then goes back to focusing on the last few minutes of service.

I nod and listen in on the pastor's last words for today. He finishes out strong, gaining praises and claps from the entire church. I stay a few minutes after for respect of the pastor, and my parents, before heading off to find Scarlette. I'm also used to Madaline being here, but her parents are getting into family bible studies, and personal church services. They believe it can strengthen bonds, and no one can fault them for that.

Still looking around, I check the confession box, the private studies room, the bathrooms (which I knocked, and didn't go in), and the main service room for a second time. I give up looking on the inside, and head outside. I don't see her at first, until I walk further out to see her sitting on a church made bench. Her head is in her hand, her brown hair falling in front of her face. She's faced the opposite way, so I walk up to her and move her hair gently out of her face.

"Having fun?" I ask, looking down at her with nothing but adoration.

She looks up the second I speak, her hand moving up to grasp at my wrist. "Now that you're here, I am."

"I'm glad," I say, then go to sit beside her. She takes that opportunity to lean her head on me, and I take the chance to play with her hair.

"Sorry I left during the service."

"No, it's okay," I reassure her, instantly. Her coming was enough- it means a lot to me. I understand if she got a little uncomfortable along the way. "I'm glad you came."

"Any time, sweetheart."

We sit in moments of silence after her words, the sun beaming down on us as music from the church starts to drift out. It's never uncomfortable when we don't say anything. Its always comfort and joy that I feel. It's all I can feel when I'm with the beautiful girl next to me.

"Want to get milkshakes?" Scarlette asks when we finally see my parents exit the church. "We can ask your parents first?"

"Okay," I agree, wanting to spend more time with her today. "Be right back."

Scarlette leans up from my shoulder, giving me the chance to ask. I speed walk over to my parents who meet me halfway, since they were headed my way in the first place.

"Can I go with Scarlette? We want to get milkshakes."

"Sure, your dad and I were heading over to grab coffee with a friend. I'm sure you wouldn't want to sit through that," mom says, waving at a woman. I think it's the friend they're getting coffee with.

"When will you be home?" dad asks next.

"I'm not sure, I wanted to spend more time with her. Is that okay?" I ask, just to be sure.

"Just keep us updated, Nolan. Have fun," dad says as he pats my shoulder. Mom kisses my cheek and they walk away to hurry for their coffee thing. The worry of being late doesn't go away in the minimum of two hours apparently.

I smile, happy that my parents said yes, and excited because I get to be with Scarlette more. I turn around, quickly, to tell Scarlette the good news. Quickly may have been a little too fast as my foot gets caught with the other one, and I feel myself going down.

Well, I did feel myself going down until two arms steady me. I already know who it is, my shy smile pointing directly at my girlfriend when I look up. She's looking down at me with a sort of loving smile that makes my heartbreak pick up, and an amused smile that has my ears turning pink.

"Do I need to expect this every time I see you near a church?" she questions, her arms still around me.

"No, it was a simple trip," I try to defend myself.

"It was a simple trip last time, sweetheart," she counters, her amused smile getting bigger.

I push away from, in a playful way, and begin to walk off in the direction I think her car is. That gets a laugh out of her, and I hear following after me.

"I'm sorry, church boy," she tries.

"Stop!" I groan, thinking I finally got away from the nickname.

"Okay, I'm sorry, love! Also, my car isn't that way."

I stop in my tracks, looking back to see if she's lying. She catches up with me by then, her hand interlocking with mine. She leads me in a different direction and it's quiet for a very minimal amount of time.

"So, is tripping a hobby of yours or something?" she asks.

"Scarlette!"

"Okay, that was the last time! I promise!"

"You're buying me two milkshakes," I mumble.

"Of course, sweetheart."