Jackson nods along, like he's confirming everything that I'm saying. He kicks his board up, and places it against a rail before sauntering over to me. He ignores the rapid shakes of my head, nodding to himself and me with a scheme-full smile.

It doesn't take much for him to pull me off the board, and grey concreted ground. I'm captured in his arms before I can even ponder a plan.

"This is truancy!" I yell, "let go of me you muttering swan!"

Jackson's arms loosen from around me, his questioning stare apparent in his features.

"Saw it in a movie once," I state, "it didn't work then either."

Jackson takes a moment to process my words, and fully lets me go as he shakes with laughter. I join in not long after, realizing what exactly I said. Maybe I do need to lay off the movies.

"Okay, lincoln," Jackson eases up from his laughing fit, "you're doing somethin', so get your ass on that board. I don't care if you have to hold my hand like a three year old girl."

I gulp, the sound probably loud enough for the entire park and the town next over to hear. I turn towards the board that hasn't done anything to me, yet, and drag it over with the pad of my foot. Jackson makes a noise of surprise when I grab onto his wrists. He told me I could, so I'm taking every opportunity of safety that I can get.

Both my feet eventually end up on the skateboard, my body wobbling as I struggle to maintain balance. My grip on Jackson's wrists become deadly tight, but he doesn't say anything; his figure is relaxed, waiting for me to say I'm ready to move.

I nod after a couple more minutes of us standing in one spot. Jackson moves slowly around the edge of the ramp, and I go with him since I haven't let go of him. It's quiet between us, my mouth sewed shut as I'm focusing on my feet that's planted in the middle of the skateboard. Jackson is more focused on keeping us away from the edge of the ramp. Things can get ugly really fast.

It's not until we're going for a second lap that Jackson says something.

"So, you and Scarlette, huh?"

"Yeah," I look up with a small smile, "me and her."

Jackson nods as if he's confirming what he already knew. He goes quiet for a minute, his eyebrows pulled in like he's thinking really hard about something. I watch him to make sure he's okay, and when he catches me staring, he attempts a grin.

"She really likes you, Nolan."

This time my eyebrows do a weird movement as they raise from Jackson's sudden, serious tone. I squeeze his wrist to hint that I want to stop moving. He gets the gist and stops our movements completely. He's patient when I hold onto him a little longer to ensure my safety as I step off the skateboard.

I do the same as him, and place the skateboard up on a rail before sitting back down on the hard ground. Jackson follows, sitting next to me while taking out a beef stick. He offers me one, causing me to laugh from the random appearance of it, but accept it this once.

"I really like her too," I speak up while we chew on our sticks. "More than anything. I didn't know liking someone this much was possible."

"Yeah?" Jackson questions, making me nod in response. "Good."

"Why do you bring it up?" I wonder, with no malice to my tone. It's general curiosity; I never thought Jackson would be interested in hearing about it.

Jackson sends me a look before leaning his back against the rail, setting the skateboard in his lap. He plays with the wheels of it as he thinks of what to say.

"You're a cool person, Nabster. A cool friend. But, Scar is my best friend."

"I get that," I answer, slowly, not at all hurt by the statement.

"The situation with Julie," he brings up, "it went on for some time, and Scar...truly was not okay."

My chewing stops as the echo of his words flow through my ears.

"We always put on this cool act, and seem like people that don't care about things, but we care a lot. Scar cares a lot. She cares about you. I just wanna make sure that she stays comatose, ya know?"

I nod, letting his words sink in. "What happened between us and Julie...was messy. I made a big mess of a mistake by trying to fit peoples standards, but my feelings towards Scarlette has always been true. I really really like her, Jack. I don't want to mess us up anymore."

Jackson grins at my words before clapping me on the back. I smile despite the sting that I felt after the hit. I realize that he just gave me the 'don't hurt my best friend' talk and mentally sigh in relief that he still approves of me. As his friend and as Scarlette's boyfriend.

"How do the parents feel about it?" he asks, his attention back on the wheels of the board.

"They reacted surprisingly well," I admit, "I had to explain the Julie thing to them too, but they approve of us. My mom even wants to meet her."

"Oooh," Jackson hums, "you might get the chance to see Scar in a dress if you play your cards right. Meeting the parents is supposed to be some big thing, yeah?"

"Yeah," I answer, "which is why she's not meeting them."

"Why?"

"Well, we just started dating. Isn't meeting my parents too soon?"

Jackson shrugs, while finishing up his beef stick. "I don't know, man. I've never been in a relationship. But, how long you've been together shouldn't matter I would assume. What feels right to the two of you is all ya need."

I let out a surprised laugh, sharing a glance with my skateboarding friend, "when did you become wise?"

"All in the genes, Nabster," he grins at me, "but, what about a sleepover? With all of us? Then Scarlette wouldn't be the only one they're seeing."

"You just want to eat my food," I conclude while giving him an accusing look. Jackson holds his hands up in surrender, and I push him over with a playful shove. "I do like the idea. When should we do it?"

"Weekend probably. We can plan it all out like girlfriends later. Let's board."

I'm pulled up for the third or fourth time before we grab our skateboards and utilize the ramp until the sun starts to go down.

"Wait, girlfriends?" I ask, his words fully marinating in my head.

"Skate, Nolan!" he totally ignores my question.

"I'm trying!"

"Try more!"

"Shut up, you swan!"

Jackson trips off his board as he bursts into laughter and I follow in his steps, our bodies laying on opposites side of the ramp. Man, I love my friends.