Casting Curses with AWFrasier

Greetings folks of Magic,

Today we're here with AWFrasier to talk about their work. Let's find out more about their world, and get a little sneak peek into their writing journey.

 Let's find out more about their world, and get a little sneak peek into their writing journey

A.W. Frasier (they/them), is a queer Faroese Dane living in Copenhagen, Denmark. With a fine arts degree, they utilise their creative skills both in cover making and as an author. They've been writing for as long as they've been able to hold a pen and love to explore magic, worldbuilding, queer themes, romance and found families in their novels. When they're not weaving tales, you can find them working in a kindergarten, painting, drawing, crocheting, taking photos and tending to the growing houseplant jungle in their flat.

About the Book: Mars Can't Die

Cursed with immortality, Mars goes on a journey with his lifelong more-than-friends partner Astral, a painfully average future-seeing mage, to find the root of magic, in an effort to ease the side effects of Astral's visions - and to finish their ...

Cursed with immortality, Mars goes on a journey with his lifelong more-than-friends partner Astral, a painfully average future-seeing mage, to find the root of magic, in an effort to ease the side effects of Astral's visions - and to finish their thesis so they can graduate from college.

Favourite Quote:

"We could cuddle."

"Don't be gross."

1

1. What intrigued you to start writing on Wattpad?

I stumbled over this short story on the internet and wanted to see if there was more - someone linked to Wattpad and that got me started. I had searched around the web to see if there were any writing websites, but it wasn't before I found Wattpad I actually started sharing my novels with anyone. So basic luck was what got me started.

2. What is your favourite thing about writing on Wattpad?

The community, for sure. I've been really fortunate to meet some amazing people who continue to inspire me to this day.

3. What influenced you to write Mars Can't Die?

It had been a good minute since I had written High Fantasy and I wanted to dive into that again, after a longer stint with Urban Fantasy. So I started writing some scenes where Mars and Astral have a good banter on my phone and the story started to take form from that. Generally a big motivation for me is for queer people to see themselves in the stories we grew up with. So Mars Can't Die is for all the adventure-loving fantasy geeks who also wanted to see the protags being queer and specifically trans, as Mars is agender. To see ourselves in these adventures, kicking ass, doing magic, falling in love. That's my general motivation for everything I write.

4. What advice would you like to give to other writers writing in the same genre?

Don't get too hung up on worldbuilding! I know it's so tempting to just build and build and build, but at some point you've got to tell a story - and while worldbuilding might have a role to play, usually it's not the main thing readers get interested in. Most of the time, they'll excuse a little slobby worldbuilding as long as the characters are engaging and the plot is exciting.

5. Your favourite Fantasy author?

Lene Kaaberbøl, author of The Shamer's Daughter. She inspired me as a kid to write Fantasy and specifically explore darker themes, so she'll forever be a favourite of mine.

6. Any favourite TV shows which have a lot of magic and fantasy?

Gonna show my age here, but Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a huge favourite of mine. Tru Blood was huge for me as well. I had a real witches and vampires stint in the 00s.

7. What do you do apart from writing?

I love illustrating and I illustrate all my covers. I've also recently picked up crocheting. I have a big passion for photography and have been photographing since I was a kid. Other than creative hobbies, I go to a lot of metal music concerts. I also love a good dark beer enjoyed with friends.

8. Cat person or Dog person

Both! I can't pick. In a perfect world, I'd have at least two of each.

9. Coffee or Tea

For sure coffee.

10. Mountains or the Beach

Can I pick both? Beaches by the mountains! 

✦••┈┈••✦

Fellow folks of magic, please show your support on the author's personal profile.

Next month, we will be back with another amazing author to share their thoughts with us.