"I want you".....

Start from the beginning

I blinked.

What the hell?

I turned the small piece of paper over. The other side was blank, no name, nothing. I stared back at the small sentence, each letters a different color and faunt, like it had been cut out of a magazine or something.

I want you.

That's it, that's what it said. Three simple words that creeped me out. Was someone playing games with me? I crumpled the paper, throwing away. I didn't let it bother me. It was obviously someone's practical joke. Haha, very funny.

"Vals."

I jumped and turned. Moi? Paranoid?

Austen frowned at me, watching me carefully. "I can go home now, thanks for waiting. You okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, fine." I looked down, suddenly feeling nervous.

"I'm not suspended," he told me.

My head shot up, eyes wide. "He expelled you? No, nope, I wont let him do that, I'll just march in there and tell him the whole truth..."

"Vals," Austen grabbed my shoulders to stop me. "Vals, its okay, calm down. He didn't expell me, just gave me a warning and detention for a month, thats it."

I blinked at him. "Really?" Austen wasn't going to get suspended? He wouldn't get expelled? I slumped my shoulder, relieved.

"Yeah, really, so just breath Vals, breath."

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. I felt suddenly grateful to Mr. Robinson, he hadn't screwed up Austen's future. Not like I could talk since I was the one who had forced him into that situation in the first place.

"I'm glad," I pressed my forehead against his chest. "I'm glad..."

"You didn't have to worry about me, Vals."

"Are you kidding! If you were suspended or expelled because of this, it would have been my fault! I could have ruined things for you!"

His features softened as he smiled tenderly at me. "I wouldn't have minded, Vals. Being here without you would have been worse."

I stared at him, speechless. He brushed my cheek gently. "I want to be where you are, Vals...for as long as I can."

"Stupid," I looked way from the intense look in his eyes, "if you would have been expelled because of me, we still would have ended up being separated."

Austen chuckled. "I guess you're right. All I had been thinking at the time was to keep you from getting in trouble. I knew I wouldn't be expelled though. Like Mr. Robinson said, I'm his top student."

"You're such an idiot," I stepped away from him. "I still can't believe you did that for me. You took a chance."

"And it all worked out right? Its just detention, maybe some community service, no big deal."

"Why would you do that?" I glanced up at him. "Why would you risk so much for me?"

"Because...because I love you, Vals. You're my bestfriend."

He loved me...because I was his bestfriend...

I was happy to hear that, I really was but at the same time I was disappointed. What had I expected? For him to say that he loved me more than just a friend? I was being silly.

"Right," I avoided looking into his eyes. I was afriad he'd see too much. "Well, lets go home I guess. Thanks for what you did, Austen. I'll make it up to you."

"You can do that now."

"Huh?"

"Remember the promise you made me before I left for Europe?"

Promise? What was he talking about?

He must have seen my confusion because he went on. "Remember? Before I left, I asked you on a date and you agreed."

Now I remembered. It was when he told me he had to leave all of a sudden. I had been too shocked that he asked me out on a date and agreed to it. He had been serious?

"Well?"

I blinked. "You want to go out on a date with me?"

"You promised, Vals."

Oh damn, there it was again, that puppy face of his I could never resist. He wanted to go on a date? Meaning hanging out as friends right? We were friends, thats all. I was just panicking for nothing.
"Okay, sure, why not, I owe you anyway."

Austen smiled. He looked so shy and cute I couldn't help but smile back. It's okay, it wasn't a real date. We were just going as friends, thats all...right? Austen couldn't have meant it being more than that. He even said so...he loved me because I was his bestfriend.

Thats it...I'm his friend. That's all I should be.