The conversation flowed easily. That was one of the things I noticed when it came to Celia. It was definitely easier for the pack to talk to her. She gave off this warmth and openness that made those around her feel comfortable. I knew I wasn't the only one who felt like that; Maia had told me the same as well, which was a reward in itself, seeing as she didn't take to people very often, if at all.

Eventually, we split up so she could prepare for her mate's arrival. I walked back to my office, and once I entered the building, I was immediately met with Maia's scent.

Speak of the devil.

I walked up the stairs and pushed open the doors to find her sitting, glancing down at her phone. Her ears perked up when she heard me, and she glanced up, examined me, and a grin broke out on her face.

"You're looking better," she told me. "Happier. Did something happen while you were away?"

A lot had happened.

"I guess you could say that," I responded. "You were right about taking a trip. I definitely enjoyed it. In fact, I'll be heading back to the Silver Night soon."

This surprised Maia. "Why?"

"I have some work I need to finish up. It shouldn't take long," I answered. "A day or two at most."

And I did have work to do. I needed to clean up some loose ends. I needed to sit down and talk to Nixon. I wanted to know where his head was at, to see if this was something he genuinely wanted to continue. The question had never come up in the past, but I couldn't leave without hearing the answer.

Feelings weren't Nixon's strong suit—it wasn't either of ours. I tended to ignore them—I knew that—while he didn't always know how to express his. And, while I didn't expect the conversation to be an easy one, I couldn't put it off anymore.

After this, I would be returning to my pack for good, which meant no more rooming together, late-night dinners, or board game nights. It meant adjusting to the fact that there would be some distance between us, and I didn't know if he would be able to do that. The only reason it had been working right now was because I had said it would only be temporary. But now that we were falling back into our regular lives before we met each other, it meant that it was finally time to see if the fragile relationship we had built together could—would—become something more.

...

"Are you ready?" Maia asked Celia as we stood at the border, waiting for her mate to arrive.

"More than," Celia replied, her eyes wide with excitement.

It was clear that she had been waiting for this day. Honestly, I was surprised she had even made it this long without seeing him in person. As werewolves, we didn't typically do well with prolonged periods of separation from our mates. I'd seen wolves fall sick from being away for too long. However, Celia stuck through it. She managed to stay strong, and that alone was enough to show her strength—not just physically but mentally as well.

We stood there for a few more minutes before a light brown wolf came trotting toward us with a bag in his mouth. The way Celia's eyes lit up, and she had to stop herself from shifting and running toward it, told me that this was her mate.

The wolf stopped short of just meeting us and disappeared behind a tree. I could make out the sound of his bones reforming as he shifted from his wolf form. A few moments later, a tall man with long, curly, light brown hair approached with a smile on his face, and whatever invisible forces that had been holding Celia back broke, and she darted into his arms.

The couple embraced in a hug, and Maia and I turned away to let them have their moment. I could see on Maia's face that seeing the two of them made her think of her own mate. It made me think of mine too.

It had become less often these days, but every now and again, I found myself wondering where I would be if my mate had lived. Would I be happy? What would've changed in my life? It was a question that I used to ask myself often when he first died.

Now, while I still found myself wondering, it was less so. I didn't know where I would be, but Dad used to say everything happened for a reason, and I wanted to believe that there was some good that could come out of the situation. Meeting Nixon was an example of that.

While the two of us may not necessarily be mates, I still cared for him. I knew that in some cases, people saw those who had taken on partners other than their fated mates as attempting to replace them—replacing what they had lost—but I didn't see it that way, and I didn't want to. Nixon wasn't my mate, but he sure as hell wasn't a replacement, either. Nixon was Nixon, and that was what had ultimately drawn me to him.

"Are you okay over there? You seem to be in deep thought," Maia asked through our link.

"Yeah, I'm okay," I told her and moved to redirect my attention to the couple.

Once they pulled away, Celia turned toward us. "Alpha Tatum, Gamma Maia, this is my mate Hayden."

I glanced over at him and was met with mossy-green eyes filled with joy. "It's nice to meet you finally."

"You as well," He responded. "Celia has told me a lot about you and the pack. I'm excited to be able to come down finally."

The way he spoke told me that he was being genuine. Like Celia, he seemed to have infectious warmth and happiness about him. It felt like it didn't matter how you were previously feeling; they could make you feel better just by being there. That was my first impression of him.

"I'm glad you're able to as well. I don't doubt that you'll fit in just fine. Why don't we give you a quick tour?" I suggested.

The others quickly agreed, and we stepped into the pack lands. The four of us walked around, introducing Hayden to some of the members and showing him where certain places were located. As we did so, my eyes traveled back to Celia, whose eyes were full of love and joy, and I found myself wondering, for once, if that would be Nixon and me one day.

 As we did so, my eyes traveled back to Celia, whose eyes were full of love and joy, and I found myself wondering, for once, if that would be Nixon and me one day

Also Happy Easter to those who celebrate! Possibly posting a Mask bonus for it. One that may or may not have something to do with Chapter 24 [part one] if you're catching on. If not go reread the chapter lol.