Prologue

3rd person pov-

    They crawl out of the dark like hunger-crazed beasts sneering closer and closer to the flesh they crave. They grunt and growl like the roaring of thunder before a storm. They tread on cold feet... silent and slow. They hiss at any sound and change direction toward any creature that might have made that sound. They sway like the dead leaves of a tree carried by the wind, arms hanging limp and necks drooping low.

    Time did make a huge difference in their appearance. Every minute and hour that passed they became more and more effective. The stench of rotten flesh diffused in almost an instant in the environment they were in. They were nothing more than dismembered bodies with limbs missing some skulls pierced, entrails hanging, lifeless white eyes scratched out and teeth marks etched into their meat.

    They never sleep. And as they grow older and more putrid than before they become slower until they are 'dead'. But don't let your guard down... because they can hear you... They can smell you... They can sense your heart beating and they can feel your fear creeping in. And all they crave is to make you one of them... All... any living creature could do is...

Beware...

and

Beware.

    Hyunjin put down his pencil on the side and looked up his desk to see a troop of creatures loitering around outside his window. He averted his gaze to a small dying candle lit on his desk. The flame of which was barely enough to pour its surroundings with meagre light.

    And slowly, it started to flicker and smoulder into the melting wax, little by little, crackle by crackle, it died. Leaving only a little smear of wax and ash in a room freshly filled with darkness. Hyunjin let out a sigh and pulled open a drawer from his desk. In there was a pack of birthday candles, the only thing he had that didn't require electricity or batteries. He opened the box and there were only 2 of them left to spare.

He sighed once again and put it back in.

"Today marks 8 then..." He mumbled to himself.

    Along with this was some irrational clutter he had collected for his aspirational artistic career. Most of his room was indeed filled with canvases, brushes, and paints. Hyunjin at some point through the epidemic of 8 days, did regret having the space not filled with food and essential commodities but some plastic junk that couldn't save his life.

    Hyunjin threw his head back on the chair's headrest and stared at the ceiling. A deafening silence with occasional growls from afar filled the room.

"I wonder what he's up to..."

9 Days earlier, Seoul-

"Our company is at risk, as the CEO you must know better! You have to take this step and do as they say. If not, it won't be long before you'll have your next meal in jail!" Mrs. Bang said inclining towards her son at the dinner table.

"Your mother is right. It is time you get married not only for yourself but also because of the company's current condition. The shareholders are pressuring us to give them an answer for the heavy losses we have faced and the only way to do it is to join our roots with as many stronger parties as we can." Mr. Bang added in a strict tone.

    An immensely wealthy family of a father, a mother well above their 50s, and a son about 26 sat for a family brunch, and the conversation they were having was somewhat absurd. Like the rest of the house, the room was well furnished with pricey items, silver-lined cutlery, and food that most people couldn't even dream of.

    In front of which sat 3 faces one of which was the mother's, covered in copious amounts of cosmetics, expensive accessories and a bit of botox maybe, the father's shaded with immense dissatisfaction and sternness, like his whole aura was monochromatic with grey. Lastly, the son with his face hung low, hiding any sort of sentiment that might result in him seeing the best of his father's disappointment who already looked quite disturbed.