Chapter 18 - Annabelle (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"I appreciate you asking—but I must decline." Victoria finally decided. She swam to the river's bank, water droplets falling as she rose. She could feel the piercing grey eyes, almost boring a hole through the back of her head as she got dressed.

That day, the younger woman left the Princess stunned. Annabelle took their encounter as a personal challenge. One day, Victoria would say yes.

Annabelle meant it. The younger woman had become her muse, the object of her undivided attention; and many people noticed. Eventually she'd managed to convince Victoria to go occasional walks with her, which then graduated to picnics.

"So, tell me," The Princess spoke, "What happened to your parents?"

The younger gave her a saddened look. "They died when I was much younger. I don't remember much about them."

The pair sat on a picnic blanket near the riverbank. Victoria wore a blue, silk dress that was pooled around her legs. Annabelle had gifted it to her on their second meeting, insisting that it would look much better on the younger woman than it would on her.

Annabelle reached for Victoria's hand, rubbing circles on the skin of her palm. She could only imagine not having her parents around. Her mother was quite possibly the only woman she'd ever known herself to love, and existing in a world without her was too painful to even think of.

"I'm sorry darling."

Victoria stared into the cloudy, grey eyes she begun to grow familiar with. What is she up to? She half expected The Princess to lose interest after a few meetings that were...uneventful. On the contrary, they seemed to enjoy each other's company more and more each time.

-

Annabelle shushed the younger woman's manic giggles as they snuck around the castle walls to her quarters.

"You can't!" Victoria managed between giggles.
"You should have never dared me." The Princess smirked.

Their fingers were intertwined as Anna led them through a secret entrance. Soon they stood below the window of The Princess's bed chamber. The sun set about half an hour prior, leaving them in mostly darkness. On a wild game of truth or dare, Victoria dared her to climb up and into her chamber through the window.

Annabelle hiked her trousers up higher on her waist, "Not a very lady-like dare."

She planted her palms against the stone wall, claws gripping at the surface below and within seconds she'd reached the window. The Princess sat on the frame, staring at the young woman at least thirty feet below.

Victoria gave a tiny clap from below and Anna flashed her a cocky grin in return. The Princess decided she'd be a little mischievous. She released the windowsill and fell forward. Victoria's shriek was muffled by her own palm as she watched the mad woman falling towards her. In an instant, Anna landed almost as light as a feather on both feet.

"Scared?" she breathed, the younger woman's face inches away.

Victoria's eyes were unreadable. Annabelle wondered if maybe she'd gone too far. She didn't have to wonder long, when a punch landed on her arm
"Ouch!"
"Do not. Do. That. Again." Victoria frowned, punching at her between words.
"Okay, okay, I'm sorry." The Princess pouted, rubbing the sore spot on her arm.

Before Victoria could continue her assault, the princess lifted the woman with ease and once steady, climbed the wall to her bedchamber. Anna launched them through the large, arched open window, landing onto the bed.

They both laughed wildly, Victoria's heart almost beating out of her chest. Anna had only just noticed the closeness of their bodies. One of the younger woman's legs thrown loosely over her own, their faces inches apart. She could hear Victoria's heart scampering and felt that her own probably sounded the same.