Chapter 5 - Of Scepters & Crowns

For a moment, he thought maybe it was all a nightmare

For a moment, he thought maybe it was all a nightmare. What the king was saying was simply madness. Not only did the queen represent the greatest terror of this land, whose attention one did not want to attract under any circumstances. Apart from the frosty cold, there were other dangers in the mountains, a labyrinth of endless forest and snow.

This HAD to be a cruel joke! Keir searched the faces for some sign that he was dreaming or mistaken. But neither His Highness nor the princess seemed to be joking. There was no smirk, smile, or hint of irony.

'They are serious. You really want me to go to the ice palace and steal the queen's damn winter.'

At that, Keir burst out laughing. A husky, hoarse laugh broke free from under the many chunks of tension and escaped into the room. It resonated into the heavy silence and echoed off the walls like an excited bird that had broken out of a too-tight cage. They wanted him to go to the Ice Queen?!
"Never!" groaned the thief, the anger in his majesty's features not greater, and he could not have been more indifferent. "You said yourselves just now that no one ever returned from there! And now you think that I would go there?!"

"That's enough. Mirror walker, unless you want more bones broken than just your nose, you should remember who you are standing in front of." The princess gave Keir a warning look, but quickly her smile was already warming up to the thief. "We understand your concerns. But we have also seen what you are capable of." demonstratively lifting the pearl necklace he had just stolen from the tower. She let the pearls pass through her slender fingers, then turned on her heel and strode back to the table to place the mirror and necklace. "If anyone can perform this deed, it is you."

"Your Highness," Keir sighed audibly, "... Even if I were insane enough to consider this madness, then yes, I wouldn't even know WHAT to steal. HOW should one steal the winter from the queen? WHAT is the winter? No one knows how she controls it. Each of the rulers has their own source of power! Is it earrings? A necklace? A wand?"

"We are aware that this task is not easy. But one would not sing heroic songs about simple deeds," the king indicated as he followed his daughter. He lowered himself onto the noble chair and gestured to the thief to come closer.

Keir's steps were more unsteady than he would have liked. But the adrenaline and his pride straightened his back a little more on their own ..., especially in front of the eyes of the princess, whose smile would probably have motivated any man to heroic deeds.

"My mystics have read from the smoke of burnt ash trees, interpreted the flight of birds, and consulted the deep waters. They all interpreted the same thing regarding the source of winter: the crown and scepter."