Chapter 22 - Love the White Noise!

Start from the beginning

Omega stared at him in silence.

"Do you remember anything from the Hatchery?"

"...Not much, I don't, but some of my memories come back at times: a superhero graphic, the food in the cafeteria, and a specific man that I can't describe. He was not an Artificial." Omega creaked down into the chair even more, looking up at the dark ceiling.

Uyama got up and walked to his desk, fiddled with some papers, and sat down.

"Is that your work?" Omega asked.

"Yeah, but it's not important stuff. I have another question- if you don't mind. Your end goal, is it what I described to you?"

Omega looked down at his socks, still dirty from the rubble. "I'm...I'm not sure."

"Ding-ding-ding, correct. What I think is important for you is to sit down, think everything through, and then ask me. That way you'll know for sure what you want. One thing I'll tell you now though..." Uyama tapped his pen on the table, his head resting on his palm. "Your goal, Enjō's goal, and my goal. They're all different, but we're fighting together, aren't we? That means that, ultimately, we all want to do the right thing. That's my tip for you." He returned to his work, licking his dry lips at times.

Doing the right thing? Omega thought back to when he encountered the woman in black- when his anger and frustration overcame him, That's a lie.

Omega continued to stare at Uyama doing his work and absorbed his words. He decided to bottle it up, "Do you know anything else about all this?"

Uyama spun his chair and leaned forward. "There's one thing for sure. Whether this brings your hopes up or down, there are undeniably more than two special cases out there."

———

Enjō quickly caught on to the guitar with Spade as his guide. As they wrapped up the session, Enjō noticed something strange about Spade's mask, "Spade, why is that mask so different than the ones you got on stage?"

Spade was standing beside him, fidgeting with his bass guitar, "What? They're all pretty normal aren't-" He halted and froze, then felt his dark motorcycle helmet on his head, "Oh. I guess it is pretty different. ". He paused again, "Doesn't mean anything really. It's sort of a, uh... sneak peek to my style for the next album."

That's so sarcastic, Enjō thought, and surprisingly pushed forward as he was leaving through the front door, "Sorry if this is something you get asked a lot by paparazzi, but when are you gonna do a face reveal?" It almost sounded funny in his head, but he couldn't tell if he should laugh due to Spade's anonymity.

"Maybe we can...talk about that some other time. When I'm ready to, I guess." He sounded awkward and much smaller than he originally appeared.

Hit something sensitive, huh?

"Ah, sorry, sorry! I'm sounding like a bad fan. I didn't mean to intrude," Enjō waved his hands apologetically.

"It's fine, it's like the top ten asked questions of all time," Spade shrugged it off, "Goodnight, student."

The door closed and the room returned to silence. Spade stood still.

"Wrong mask."

———

The phone rang for a moment, as Sheba waited for an answer in her new cheap hotel room. The phone was picked up, with silence on the line.

Sheba interrupted the awkward silence, "Izaak?"

"Izaak," He affirmed.

"How is your political campaign going?"

"Oh! It's you, sis!" He made playful kissing sounds into the speaker, "How've you been for the last decade?!"