Chapter Eighteen

--

Chapter Eighteen

--

'Stop!' The shout was ignored by the smaller man who scaled the wall with catlike finesse. Jason hurled himself up the brick work, leathers creaking. The bell still clanged, waking everyone in residence from dragons to servants.

The boy had chosen not to make a break for the gates where Jason's long stride would have caught up with him but to climb the outer wall. Perhaps he thought if he got enough distance, he could find a safe way down the other side. He would be mistaken. The other side of the mountain the stronghold was carved into was nothing but sharp slick rock and dark sudden overhangs.

Dragons were taking off as more torches were lit. Hounds howled as they were released from their kennels to hunt. Those on night watch were bringing their beasts in, closing on the stronghold to ensure no unknown animal lurked nearby for a rescue.

The boy landed nimbly atop one wall and ran along it. Jason was quick to follow, boots slipping a little before he found his balance. He could keep up easily so far. He had stood on toe tip in the saddle of a flying dragon, he had enough skill to run along a wall.

Gabe was running alongside down below, shouting orders. Jason could not understand where the kid thought he was going. The whole stronghold was up in arms. Soon, there would not be a single empty corridor.

The boy swung a left, scaling down the other side and plunging into the small man-made waterway. Jason was quick after him, the water soaking into his boots and slowing him a fraction. The impact of the jump sent a harsh ringing through his bones. He gritted his teeth and poured on more speed.

A glint of silver was his only warning and Jason threw himself sideways to avoid the small throwing knife. His boot slipped and he stumbled, his side colliding with the concrete side of the water course. The boy was already pulling ahead, climbing out and diving down another corridor. There was a yell, a thump, and several loud curses. Gingerly and still sopping wet, Jason jogged after him. The boy was face down on the cobblestones, Logan and two uniformed guards restraining the still struggling teenager. Jason panted, ribs aching.

Logan glanced up at him.

'Inform the king. We have him.'

--

It was nearly dawn when Jason finally came back to the stable. In that time, Lune had calmed down enough to work a claw under the light chain and wiggle it off his snout. It had not been a fun process and Lune had been frustrated when all he wanted to do was melt the chains off in a blast of fire but couldn't.

He had half hoped that Jason was coming to calm him down, but the rider had done little more than storm in, check on Damon and storm straight back out again. Lune was annoyed, tired and upset but did not dare lie down to sleep. He paced up and down, often pausing at Damon's side as though to check the other male still lived. The sun rose slowly, bird song penetrating the dark mood of the stall.

Damon was still sleeping deeply and probably wouldn't wake for another few hours. Lune remembered how pungent the black dragon's food had been yesterday afternoon. The boy must have snuck it in then, when Damon wouldn't have been able to identify it. Lune couldn't help but feel slightly guilty about that. He should have noticed something was off, but he didn't. When the door to the stall opened, Lune swung around expectantly.

His wings drooped to the floor however when he saw it was not Jason or Gabe but the squire, George. George gave a nervous little wave.

'Morning boy, Gabe and Jason sent me to check on you both,' the boy said nervously. He held out his palm flat, exposing a sugar cube. Lune wasn't in the mood though. Not in the slightest. He gave a miserable chuff and sat down beside Damon. George hesitated and then came further into the stall.