Chapter Fourteen

--

Chapter Fourteen

--

It was with a lot of muttering and suspicious glances from nervous stable hands that Lune was led back to the large outdoor stable he shared with Damon. Lune had watched in astonishment as Jason had donned his leather armour with a blazing sun burned into the back. He fixed a wicked looking broadsword high on his hip. Several small black, red, and amber jewels were fixed deep into the pommel. The armour was pockmarked and restitched in places. When Jason had stepped into the corridor, Lune got a look at a slash on the leather which finished at the collarbone where he knew Jason carried a scar on his flesh. Had a sword once glance off his armour and struck him there?

'Stay together. Speak to no one. Don't take food from anyone who is not myself or Gabe,' Jason said gravely as he opened the massive steel door. The dragons went inside without argument. Even as he was allowed to shed his human form, Lune felt oddly helpless. It was not a normal feeling for a dragon. It was a deep-set unease he couldn't shake. He couldn't fly away from this place, nor could he dig himself a den. Damon read the distress in the little kagame's posture. He came closer, purring in an effort to soothe his mate.

The black dragon approached very slowly, aware of the rattling white spines that Lune might hurl at him. He reached out and nibbled at the smaller male's neck. Lune gave a low growl and huddled more into himself, sweeping his tail around protectively. Damon whistled through his teeth.

He decided to wait. He laid down in the sun, rolling a little to stretch. Lune sat watching the distant crowds of people. It felt like every one of those humans was looking at him. That was normal but today it felt especially intense, ominous. Was it his imagination or was one young man watching him more carefully than the others?

Damon's head came up as Lune came timidly over to him. He raised one massive wing in invitation, glad when the smaller dragon curled up against him. He lay his wing protectively over the snowy form. Lune tucked himself as close as he could get with a small miserable little churr.

Jason paused on the way up the stone steps to the forge, looking back at his enclosure. He saw Damon's massive form and a tuff of Lune's tail sticking out from under the black wing. This wasn't how he wanted things. He wanted to be soaring through the skies with Lune beside them. He wanted to take Lune fishing, show him the Kingdom of the Sun. Instead, he was preparing for battle against an unknown enemy.

He joined the chattering throng of people. The crowd parted for him naturally like water around a large stone. His hand stayed on the hilt of his blade out of habit. The sword was his father's. It was old, forged in dragon fire and well kept. He was unsurprised to find he wasn't the first in the meeting hall. Many knights were already assembled. Kyril's normally sleek hair was unkept and Fredrick's chin was blue with stubble. When Fredrick caught Jason's eyes and shook his head, Jason knew that the other knight had no news for him.

'Nothing new to report from the night then?' Jason murmured as he got closer. Fredrick shook his head.

'Nay,' he grunted. Up close, Jason could see the circles under the man's eyes. He had obviously been one of the few to stay up and patrol.

'Lands are quiet. For now,' he added. Jason was about to ask much more before a ripple of power tore through the massive room, signalling the approach of their king. The Sun King swept into the room, several lower ranked soldiers backing right out of his way. His blazing eyes fixed on Amara.

'Report,' he demanded. She gave a low bow. Her stance and posture were proud, but she too looked tired.

'Sire, all staff from the kitchens, stables and killing floor have been interrogated.' That was not a small task. It had probably taken the better part of the last twelve hours. 'There is little to report. The only interview of any interest was with a young stable hand named Decan who mentioned spotting a person he did not recognise in the stables early yesterday morning. He described the figure as a young male with dark hair, thin frame and with dark clothing. He only thought it odd as the other man was wearing a squire's uniform, but his face was not known to the boy,' she said in a loud voice so everyone could hear.