Chapter Seventeen

--

Chapter Seventeen

--

'Those men really dislike you,' Lune said softly as they passed into a calmer corridor with less people. Jason smiled bitterly.

'Kyril and Estevan? Well yes. With Estevan, the wounds are old and deep. He is a lot older than me. He coveted my father's rank. When my father died, Estevan expected to be given the title, but the king gave it to me instead for my capture of Damon. For Kyril it's more how I am than who. He has always believed himself the better trainer. He has more dragons in his stables than any other knight. For what little that matters,' Jason muttered.

He didn't look at Lune as he said this and Lune had a distinct impression that those stories were both incomplete and most likely, far more complicated. Jason didn't seem to want to elaborate though so Lune let the conversation lapse into silence as the rider led him back to the stables.

'I have a few things to attend to and I don't want Damon to wake alone,' Jason said as he opened the massive stall door. Lune stepped inside and immediately felt the shift. As a dragon he bent his muzzle down for a pat.

'I'll be back soon,' Jason promised and closed the door. Lune padded over to where Damon slumbered. It was obvious the male hadn't woken or moved. He sniffed curiously at one of the acid burns. Most of the injuries were healing well, glowing slightly in reaction to Jason's magic. A few others had been covered with a bitter smelling poultice.

The Yoru's breathing was deep and steady. He didn't seem to be in pain so after getting a drink of water, Lune came back and began to groom the larger male. He was careful to stay right away from any injuries.

Damon woke sometime around mid-day to Lune still grooming him. The Yoru yawned widely, jaw creaking. He stretched, wings flexing and brushing the walls and ceiling. Lune ducked to avoid them. The black stood, gingerly testing his muscles. He was stiff and a little sore in places but felt better for the rest and medication.

The doors to the outside paddock had been opened. He turned his head and nuzzled Lune. The Kagame was unusually quiet. He returned Damon's touch but there was no fluff to his wings or bounce to his step as they headed out into the sun. The events of the last few days had caused a lot of conflicting feelings for the newly captured dragon.

Damon did feel sorry for Lune, but he also couldn't fight his own possessive feelings. If they had been out in the wild, Damon would have attempted to capture Lune for his harem. The young male was too rare and too lovely not to. He did understand what it felt like to be captured and displaced though his own transition had been different. Damon had been much younger than Lune was now when Jason had captured him. He and Jason had grown though their 'teenage' years together, butting heads. Damon hadn't known much of the wilds of his birthplace before he was taken from them.

Damon tried to get Lune to play but the Kagame just slumped over one of the good scratchy sunning rocks and didn't move. Snorting, Damon nosed about his neck and face. Lune swatted at him. Undeterred, Damon risked poking the little dragon. Lune's lilac eyes narrowed to slits. He gave a warming grumble, tail starting to swish. The Yoru gave his wing an unpleasant nip. Lune bit at the bigger dragon but Damon was already out of reach. He goaded the little dragon, prodding and annoying him until finally the Kagame snapped.

Lune launched himself after Damon with a chirping bark of anger. Damon fled, flapping his wings, and knocking Lune away with the gusts as he danced around the paddock. Lune gave chase, biting at the black tail tip as it waved in his face. Around and up and down, Damon led him around their domed paddock until Lune's anger morphed into a mulish happiness. The rather rough game of 'tug you last' ended abruptly when Damon turned and swept Lune to the ground with an outstretched wing.