change of heart

You were forced out of your dream by the sound of crying.

You gradually sat up and groaned. The ache in your head slammed against your skull making you rub the side of your head. The figure laying beside you moved before it too was up by the racket.

"I'll get it," Macaque mumbled tiredly.

"No, I got it," You turned to slip off of the bed.

A pair of arms wrapped around your midsection and pulled you back onto the bed. Macaque pinned you against the pillows before commanding in a low, raspy growl, "Stay."

You were too tired to argue and turned away from his narrowed eyes, you curled into yourself and pulled the blanket up to your shoulders.

Macaque watched you for a few seconds before the second wail snapped him out of his trance. Macaque got out of bed and headed for the source of the noise, he walked through the doorway and snorted when his eyes landed on the crib.

"What are you doing up, little man?" Macaque cooed as he approached the crib and bent down. His large hands scooped up the ball of fluff and supported the baby monkey's head against his bare chest.

The baby, which has remained unnamed since neither of you knew what to call the child, whimpered before he opened his mouth to release another sob. Macaque shushed the baby as he rocked him in his arms, the larger monkey started walking around the room trying to figure out why his son was upset.

He sniffed his diaper, no smell.

Macaque attempted to lull the child back to sleep, but no dice.

Macaque was just about to give up when he spotted you by the entrance of the nursery leaning on the door.

"Weren't you supposed to be-"

"-I thought you 'got this,'" You shot back as you shuffled over to Macaque and took the baby from him. The moment your son was in your arms, his whimpering lessened as his tiny hands gripped your shirt.

Macaque scoffed at this display, but the rising smirk on his face only appeared as he watched you approach the rocking chair. You carefully sat down and lifted your shirt, allowing the baby monkey to latch onto your nipple. You shuddered at the strange sensation and remembered, at that moment, that it wasn't just the two of you in the nursery.